|
NL: Where Have All the Children Gone?
Source: Western Star (NL), September 28, 2011
Excerpt: "It's a sign that we've moved to "have" province status that "new job creation has grown faster than the number of new job seekers entering the workforce." This is exciting news…. Unfortunately, theory and reality don’t match up…. But with over half of part-time workers saying they are working part-time because of lack of childcare and one quarter of all families saying they’ve turned down jobs or training because they need to stay home to care for a child, there will be no women filling those empty jobs and propelling that growth.... So our province has a problem, it has women dominating the jobs with fastest growth and highest coming attrition rates. And it has women who are not seeking work because they have no one to care for their children. And it has a population that is aging and will need support from population growth and younger workers."
SK: Parents Upset Over Daycare Changes
Source: cbc.ca, September 27, 2011
Excerpt: "Some parents in Saskatoon are scrambling after local daycares told them they could no longer care for their children. The Saskatchewan government distributed a letter on Sept. 16 saying unlicensed daycares can only look after a maximum of five preschool-aged children, regardless of how many workers are on staff. Violating that limit could result in a $300 fine per day..."
Back to top>
Should New Research on Under-Fives Reshape Our Approach To Development?
Source: Guardian (UK), September 273, 2011
Excerpt: "The first rule of any self-respecting target is that it should remain static. In this, the millennium development goals (MDGs) have performed admirably since their inception in 2000. But what happens if our understanding of how to meet a target changes? Should we shift the goalposts accordingly? The publication in Friday's Lancet of a series on early child development (ECD) raises just that question in relation to the MDGs. The two-part series draws on new science and evidence to transform our understanding of the tremendous benefits of programming for under-fives, and the risks of inaction."
ON: School Board’s Child-Care Plans Could Affect Hundreds of Families
Source: Ottawa Citizen, September 21, 2011
Excerpt: "Despite the Ministry of Education’s change in direction, the OCDSB has indicated that its preferred option, at least from staff's perspective, would be for the board to deliver extended care as an integrated program for four- and five-year-olds and for children aged six to 12, depending on demand…. These licensed, third-party providers are popular with parents, offer subsidies for families who can’t afford the service and cost less for families who can, Arnold said. "Why (the OCDSB) think they’'e going to do a better job is not clear to me,” she said."
Back to top>
Save the Children! No, Like Really
Source: The Independent (NFLD), September 20, 2011
Excerpt: "With the flood of provincial election coverage, it can be hard for the average voter to keep track of everything that’s going on… But one little piece of news that shouldn’t get lost in the wash is a press release that came out earlier this week.... The Vector Poll – commissioned by CUPE Newfoundland and Labrador, which represents a number of unionized childcare workers – surveyed the province's voters about their views on child care; but perhaps more importantly, it surveyed them about their experiences with child care, as well. And it painted the most graphic picture yet of just how big a childcare crisis this province is beginning to face."
89% of NL Parents with Child Care-Aged Children Support a Public System: New Poll
Source: Marketwire / CUPE, September 19, 2011 (news release)
Excerpt: "A new, province-wide poll on child care in Newfoundland and Labrador shows that families with young kids strongly support the idea of a public system. CUPE NL President Wayne Lucas says, "At every income level, NL parents soundly support (89%) having the provincial government set up child care programs as part of the public school system."
Back to top>
Parents Call on Politicians for Child-Care Cash
Source: Toronto Star, September 15, 2011
Excerpt: "Almost 400 child care centres have closed across Ontario since the last provincial election in 2007 and advocates say many more are at risk if the province doesn’t shore up the chronically underfunded system. “This wave of closures — almost four centres a week — is just the tip of the iceberg and we are calling on all the parties to commit to solving the child care crisis,” said Andrea Calver of the Ontario Coalition for Better Child Care."
ON: The Missing Issue: Important Questions About Education Ignored in Election Campaign
Source: Toronto Sun, September 13, 2011
Excerpt: "Kim Campbell's infamous line about elections not being a time to discuss serious issues may have stated reality, but that’s no reason for us to stop trying. In that spirit, I gladly accepted an invitation last spring to moderate one of the many "Education Day" all-candidates debates being coordinated across the province by the Ontario Public School Boards Association (OPSBA). Mine's on Sept. 20. … My enthusiasm, however, hasn’t been shared by all the candidates for MPP. There's already been some fuss in Toronto about how few Conservative candidates are attending."
Back to top>
Trustees Wonder Why Tory Candidates Won’t Appear at Education Meetings
Source: Toronto Star, September 11, 2011
Excerpt: "Ontario school trustees are giving some Tory candidates an F for failing to sign up for special debates on education to be held Sept. 20 across the province. At least four Toronto District School Board trustees say their local Progressive Conservative candidates are refusing to take part in all-candidates’ meetings on education — despite the debates being announced last May by the provincial trustee association — and at least six more Toronto trustees say Tory candidates are the only ones they have been unable to nail down."
Liberal Party Platform Pledges Additional Investment in Early Childhood Programs
Source: Liberal Party of PEI, September 9, 2011 (news release)
Excerpt: ""Education is the key to our future - and the emphasis we have placed on programs will continue if the Liberal Team is offered the privilege of governing for the next four years," the Premier said… The Liberal Plan for Education begins at birth - and extends through Grade-12, the Premier said. "When you couple this plan with our program for higher education, it is clear that the Liberal commitment is to a lifetime of education.""
Back to top>
Parents Scramble To Find Safe, Quality Child Care
Source: Toronto Star, September 9, 2011
Excerpt: "Licensing history can be one indication of quality, especially if there are a series of provisional licences with failing grades in compliance areas, child care experts say. But a licence is no guarantee of quality and in the case of Markham Village, doesn’t ensure safety, either. Far more important, they say, is staff qualifications and the question of profit. Volumes of Canadian and international research over several decades show that for-profit centres generally deliver poorer quality care than non-profit or public daycares…"
NFLD: Two Family Foundations Give $300,000 to Memorial University for Research
Source: Jimmy Pratt Foundation, September 6, 2011 (news release)
Excerpt: "Today, the Jimmy Pratt Foundation, (JPF) in partnership with the Margaret and Wallace McCain Family Foundation, is announcing an investment of $300,000 in early childhood research to be done by Memorial University. The Margaret and Wallace McCain Family Foundation (MWMFF) already supports 14 initiatives throughout Atlantic Canada. The Jimmy Pratt Foundation is very pleased to be partnering with the Hon. Margaret McCain and the MWMFF. Both Foundations are dedicated to helping promote healthy living, stronger families and opportunities for all children."
Back to top>
|