This is our grade three math word wall and it's broken down into the five strands of math. We have the strands listed at the bottom for each strand.
Every week we introduce five new math words. We treat them like word wall words. We do sentences with them to help with the definitions, we use boxing to help with the spelling, and we do a close activity. These math words, once we're done with them each week, we take them and put them on the math word wall, and they're organized on the math word wall as well. You can see all of our time words are listed together, all of our money words are listed together, just to help the kids reference them whenever they need them.
The goal of Math Word Wall: Expanding Vocabulary in Third Grade (Virtual Tour) is to provide opportunities for exposure to and use of mathematics terminology.
- Introduce new math words each week that correspond to the current unit of study. Grouping words according to the math strand will provide students with a clear reference tool.
- Provide opportunities for students to work with the math words by talking about the definitions, creating sentences and practice spelling.
- Math words that you would want to include on the math word wall are the words that appear most often in math-related problems and units of study. Direct students' attention to these words as they appear in problems and discussions.
- Discuss the importance of recognizing math words by sight and understanding the meaning of the math words that appear on your math word wall.
- The more often students' are exposed to math words the more likely they will be able to commit the spelling and meaning of these words to memory.
- Create personal math dictionaries and have students add new math words to their dictionaries on a regular basis.