Title: BONK, Grades K-3
BRIEF DESCRIPTION OF IDEA:
1. The students stand in a circle and chant the days of the week (or the months of the year, numbers 1-10, 11-20, the spelling of words: b-e-c-a-u-s-e, etc.).
2. The teacher walks around the circle and points at a student each time the class says a word.
3. Once the class comes to the end of the days of the week the class shouts “BONK, BONK, BONK” and the three students following the student who was pointed to on the last day of the week must sit down (e.g. “Sunday, Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, Saturday, BONK, BONK, BONK”).
4. The class continues chanting until everyone is sitting down.
* This activity works well with older students for practicing spelling (d-i-n-o-s-a-u-r-BONK.)
The repetitive nature of this whole class activity is good for helping new English language learners acquire basic vocabulary. Because the whole class chants together, this activity provides a relatively safe space for students who are new to English to participate orally in class.
Submitted by: Colleen Grandy