Jackman ICS Homework Policy
- At Jackman ICS, homework demonstrates the type of work done in class.
- At Jackman ICS, homework focuses on the integration of skills through meaningful practice of those skills.
- At Jackman ICS, homework reflects the program of a particular class and is encouraged at all grade levels.
- At Jackman ICS, homework offers each family the opportunity to support the expectations of the school by creating a study environment that facilitates the child’s learning.
Homework at Jackman ICS is not:
- Designed to take up all of the child’s out of school time
- Designed to teach unfamiliar curriculum concepts
- A replacement for family time
- The same for all learners
Early Years’ Focus
- Being read to and reading
- Family-based engagement in school-based learning
- Parental awareness of the class focus
- Positive expression of parental support for the program of the class
Grade 1 and 2 Focus
- Life skills
- Reading and being read to-in all grades
Grades 3 to 6 Focus
- Continue the focus of the of the primary grades
- Reading, math, all literacy and communication skills
- Organization and thinking skills
- Social sciences
- Current affairs
Reading and being read to - in all grades
About the Homework Policy:
- Developed by laboratory school
- Informed by Jackman ICS philosophy
- Based on research on homework for elementary schools
- Reviewed regularly for relevance to our practice, most recently in February 2008
- Regularly discussed with laboratory school families
For homework tips for parents, click here.