UofT Blackboard Portal
Online course management and discussion
Whether student or instructor, in order to login to Blackboard, you will first need a UTORid account. The UTORid account is used to access many online services at UofT and OISE and is different from your OISENet account. For more information about obtaining a UTORid account, please visit the UTORid page. New students, click here for a video introduction.
LOGIN into Blackboard at: http://portal.utoronto.ca (bookmark this site)
NEW for 2012 - you can now also access Blackboard using the Blackboard Moblie Learn app.
Students: Learning about Blackboard
Please consult the student section of the UofT Portal Info site for information about using the Blackboard system.
How do I log into the Portal?
Instructors: Requesting Blackboard for Your Course
No requests necessary for Blackboard!
All courses are automatically created with information from the Registrars' Office.
Student enrollment, instructor assignments and OISE courses are all automatically populated within Blackboard from ROSI. By default, courses are made unavailable to students until the instructor chooses to turn the courses “On” and allow student access.
Just login to the Blackboard Portal to see your courses listed under the "My Courses" section.
Instructors: Learning about Blackboard
Online and personal assistance for OISE instructors
We have developed the Blackboard Junction to assist OISE faculty with the basics of Blackboard. There you can find assistance with our online Blackboard starter kit, timelines, self-directed help, Tips & FAQ and how-to videos. Please have a look over the Blackboard Junction information in the Instructor section of this site.
Individual consultations held with Education Commons staff are available to OISE instructors by contacting the Client Care Portal (CCP) with requests.
Check the Education Commons Workshop web site for available Blackboard sessions or you can check Centre for Teaching Support and Innovation (CTSI) Blackboard Workshop offerings as well.
Information about Blackboard is available online to the UofT community at the Portalinfo web site. Included on the Portalinfo site are many online tutorials, FAQs and step-by-step instructions for faculty and students.
Education Commons Support
The Education Commons is now providing local Blackboard support for the OISE community who are currently using this new system in conjunction with teaching and research activities.
In addition to the web help information provided on this site, the EC can provide personal support.
- Support in setting up UTORid access required for use of the Blackboard system
- Orientation and training as required for faculty adopting Blackboard
- Consultation on use of Blackboard to support curriculum and program needs
- Ongoing technical support
- Special projects and Blackboard Building Block development
- Special requests for integrating Blackboard with C2C or other online technologies
Contact the Client Care Portal (CCP) for more information.
Community Groups and Organizations
The Education Commons also provides support for the creation and setup of OISE Blackboard Community Groups and Organizations. Organizations provide an active on-line meeting space for University community groups such as recognized student groups, academic communities of interest and administrative committees and offices. Located under the "Community" tab in the Blackboard Portal, Organizations provide a collection of tools, making it easy for group members to connect, collaborate and chat online
Problems and Errors?
How do I log in?
- Use your UTORid username and password
I have logged on to the Bb Portal – why is my course not listed?
- Faculty - Check with the Registrar's Office to ensure you are listed as the official instructor for the course.
- Students - Check that you are officially registered for the course in ROSI. It may take up to 48 hours to show up in Blackboard.
- If all students in the course can not see the course listed, the instructor has not made it "available".
- Why can I no longer see the course menu after I enter my course?
I am having trouble downloading files from Blackboard.
- If you are using IE (Internet Explorer), you may need to click on the Information Bar to download the file.
- Why am I not receiving e-mail messages from the instructor?
- More student help can be found on the Blackboard toolbox page, including video tutorials.
I can not download a file (word, powerpoint, pdf, etc.) from my course using IE.
If you are using the Internet Explorer web browser (IE), you will have to look for the Information Bar at the top of the window, and follow the steps to download the file.
UofT's Learning Portal
The University of Toronto licenses Blackboard Learn including the Learning System, community portal, and document management tools. This suite of tools is now available campus wide.
The Blackboard Learning System allows instructors to post course information and course materials, readings and assignments and provides functionality for basic discussion forum and other collaborative tools. Instructors can also use the online tools to manage assignments, grades, and student data, which are extracted automatically from the ROSI system.