Decrease font size Reset font size Increase font size

Welcome international students!

Newly admitted students

Information for international students

Part of what makes OISE such a vibrant academic community is the rich diversity of its students. We truly welcome the world and your unique perspective is going to enrich the learning environment for all.

As you prepare to become a student at OISE and U of T, here's what you need to know. 


Visas and study permits

As an international student, you will need valid immigration documents to live and study in Canada. A student who is neither a Canadian Citizen nor a Permanent Resident must obtain a visa and study permit from a Canadian embassy, consulate or high commission outside Canada. 

Once an offer of admission has been granted, you will need to obtain a valid Student Authorization from Citizenship and Immigration Canada in order to study in Canada. In some cases a Temporary Residents Visa is required before entering Canada.

International students who are applying through what is known as the Student Direct Stream(SDS) are required to pay tuition fees as part of the student visa application process.  Since the fall-winter session fees/invoices do not become available until mid-July, international students who need to pay earlier can e-mail the Student Accounts Office at to request an estimate of the fees payable (based on the previous year’s fees). The fee payment can be held until tuition fees for the session are billed, and a receipt can be issued to the student to use as proof that tuition fees have been paid.

Under no circumstances should a student leave for Canada until confirmation of acceptance of admission to the University of Toronto is received, and holds a valid entry visa and student authorization (study permit).

International students should contact the nearest Canadian Embassy, High Commission, or Consulate as soon as they receive an offer of admission.

You can also visit the University of Toronto Centre for International Experience website for information on obtaining a study permit.

If your immigraition status changes during your studies, your fees owing may change.  Be sure to notify the Office of the Registrar promptly as  the change of status is not retroactive to any previous session.

Health and medical insurance

The University Health Insurance Plan is a mandatory health insurance plan for all international and exchange students and their qualifying dependents. UHIP helps to cover the cost of hospital and medical services you may need to maintain your health while in Canada.

As a student, you are automatically enrolled in UHIP, and the coverage charge will be listed on your student invoice. However, you must arrange for dependent coverage directly with the UHIP office. Dependents must enrol in UHIP within 30 days of their arrival date in Canada or a late fee will be applied.

For more information about UHIP, such as getting your card, summary of coverage, and dependent enrolment, visit the Centre for International Experience website

International student families

International student families have many things to think of as they enter into U of T. Not only are you entering a new city, but a new country as well. 

The University of Toronto has great centres dedicated to advising international student families. 

  • The Family Care Office offers information regarding pregnancy support in Ontario, childcare possibilities, public school enrolment for kids, University health coverage, and both on and off campus housing.
  • The Centre for International Experience (St. George Campus) and International Education Centre (Mississauga Campus) are dedicated to international students and offer help with things like family visas, settling in, and immigration advising.