Jump to Main Content
Decrease font size Reset font size Increase font size
Ontario Institute for Studies in Education, University of Toronto Home| OISE| U of T| Portal| Site Map | Contact Us | Feeling Distressed?
INSPIRING EDUCATION | oise.utoronto.ca
Registrar's Office
Go to selected destination

Newly Admitted Students

Registering and Paying Fees

Below is some key information you will need to know before you begin your program. More details are available at this website under Continuing Students.  Be sure to familiarize yourself with our website for important information that will assist you throughout your program. 

Registration Periods and Deadlines for 2017-18:
July 17, 2017        
Registration Period begins: Pay or Defer Deadlines, all graduate programs

September 15, 2017    
Registration deadline for students registering in the fall (September to December) session; after this date a late registration fee will be assessed.

January 12, 2018
Registration deadline for students registering or starting their program in the winter (January to April) session; after this date, a late registration fee will be assessed
***Be sure to familiarize yourself with the service charge dates and fee payment deadlines, there are significant changes***
 August 25, 2017 is the suggested payment date to ensure that your payment is processed by September 15, 2017, the deadline to be registered.
You are expected to pay your fees and register at the commencement of your program and every year thereafter as applicable. The session your program is to begin is stated on your Offer of Admission letter.     
A student registers by paying fees at a Canadian bank or financial institution.  You may also be able to register by deferring your fees if you are expecting an award or student loan. 
Under the Financial Aid Tab you will find a wealth of information, including details on how to register by deferring your fees based on OSAP, Awards or Funding Packages.
Note that enrolling in courses does not constitute Registration, payment ( or official deferral ) is the final step.

Tuition and Incidental Fees

Tuition fees will be posted on the official University of Toronto Student Accounts website at www.fees.utoronto.ca.

In addition to academic fees, students are required to pay incidental fees, which include campus fees, student society fees and in some professional programs a placement fee. International Students must also pay for the University Health Insurance Plan (UHIP). 
Yearly fees cover the Fall and Winter Sessions, and usually the following Summer Session as well.  
The domestic rate applies to Canadian Citizens, Permanent Residents and exempt International Students. The international rate applies to non-exempt International Students.

Program Length 
Master’s Programs
The Program Length is stated on your Offer of Admission, and is defined as the expected length of time it will take a full-time student to complete their degree.  (Some students may take longer.)   Once this period is past, or you have begun your last required course (whichever comes first), you are required to continue to register annually until all degree requirements have been completed.  (M.Ed. students whose program does not require a Thesis, Master's Research Paper/Project, or Comprehensive Exam are exempt from the above requirement to maintain continuous registration.  However, a change to part-time status may not be made after this period.) 
Doctoral Programs
The ideal time to complete an Ed.D. or Ph.D. program is four years, but it is recognized that this will not always be feasible.  Sta ndard Ph.D. programs require students to be registered full-time, year round, for the duration of the program. (A minimum of one year of full-time registration is required.)  Flexible-time Ph.D. programs require full-time, year round registration for the first four years, after which part-time registration may be permitted. The pattern of study varies for Ed.D. programs.  Most Ed.D. programs may be commenced on a part-time basis.  However, a minumum period of 12 months of full-time registration is required.  After that year, full-time registration must be maintained.       

Degree Fee
The Program Length into which you are admitted determines the minimum total academic fee that you must pay prior to graduation; this is called the “Degree Fee”. At the time of graduation, the cumulative academic fees paid are calculated and if the total is less than the Degree Fee, you must pay the difference.

Many master’s degree students must pay additional fees upon completion of their program.

For important, detailed information about Degree Fees, refer to the Graduate Students Registration section of this website.   

Degree Time Limits
All degree programs have a time limit by which all degree requirements must be met. The time limit for Ed.D. and standard Ph.D. programs is normally six years. Flexible-time Ph.D. programs have a time limit of six or eight years, depending on your program. Time limits for Master’s students who began their degree in September 2011 or later are as follows:  three years from first enrolment for full-time students; six years from first enrolment for part-time students.  Consult your Liaison Officer in the Registrar’s Office for more details.
Medical Insurance for Canadian Students coming from outside Ontario
If you are coming from outside Ontario, you should ensure that you have medical insurance coverage. Information and application forms for the provincial government’s Ontario Health Insurance Plan (OHIP) may be obtained from the University Health Service. There is no charge for OHIP provided you qualify for coverage.
Proof of Citizenship NEW
Proof of citizenship is now required in order to receive your TCard. Your citizenship will also determine your fees. Students whose citizenship documentation does not match their status in the University's records system will not be issued a TCard and will instead sent back to OISE for assistance. Your documents must also match your name as you applied.  Details on acceptable documents can be found at: http://www.sgs.utoronto.ca/currentstudents/Pages/First-Steps-for-New-Students.aspx

Additional Information for International Students:

International Students Fee Exemption
In accordance with the recommendations of the Ontario government, certain categories of International Students are exempt from paying higher international fees.  Instead they pay academic fees equivalent to those for Canadian Citizens and Permanent Residents (a.k.a. Landed Immigrants).   Students may qualify for an exemption from the higher fees in a number of ways which are related to their sponsorship and source of financial support. More information is available at www.fees.utoronto.ca

Visa and Study Permit
A prospective student who is neither a Canadian Citizen nor a Permanent Resident must obtain a visa and study permit from a Canadian embassy, consulate or high commission outside Canada.  Students from many other countries will also need to obtain an entry visa, for which they would apply at the same time.  See a list of these countries at www.cic.gc.ca/english/visit/visas.asp.  It is not possible to change from “visitor” to “student” status within Canada.  Your Offer of Admission letter will be required to obtain a study permit and to present to the Canadian immigration authorities upon arrival in Canada.  For information on Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC), visit www.cic.gc.ca.  To avoid delays in study permit processing, visit www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/publications/delay.asp
The Centre for International Experience (CIE) is a wonderful resource for international students. CIE and SGS offer the assistance of an international transition advisor who supports students adjusting to life in Canada. You can seek advice about CIC documentation and processes, including study and work permits. CIC also administers the University Health Insurance Plan (UHIP). CIE is open to all students and hosts a myriad of events. For details and more information, visit cie.utoronto.ca

Medical Insurance
Most International Students are not eligible for OHIP and must obtain coverage through the University Health Insurance Plan (UHIP). This coverage is compulsory for International Students plus their dependents. For 2015-16, the cost for twelve months of coverage was $648 for a single student (amount still TBA for 2017-18). Students must arrange for dependent coverage directly with the UHIP office.  Dependents must enrol in UHIP within 30 days of their arrival date in Canada or a late fee of $500.00 will be applied.  Detailed information about premiums for International Students and their dependents is available at the Centre for International Experience (www.cie.utoronto.ca).

School Fees for your Children
If you are an International Student and your children accompany you to Toronto, you may have to pay a substantial school fee to enrol your children in a local school.  Contact the University of Toronto Family Care Office for assistance.


Additional Information relevant to M.T. and M.A. (Child Study & Education) Students:

Police Record Check:  If you have been offered admission to one of our two graduate teacher education programs (Master of  Arts in Child Study and Education, or Master of Teaching), it’s critical to know these programs require successful completion of practice teaching in schools. School Boards require teacher education candidates on practice teaching assignments in Ontario schools to complete a satisfactory police record check prior to having direct contact with students. Without a satisfactory criminal record report, the schools will not allow teacher education candidates to participate in practice teaching. Teacher candidates who cannot obtain a satisfactory criminal record report will be unable to complete the requirements of their OISE degree. 
Depending on the police service that is responsible for your residence area (e.g., Toronto Police Services and the RCMP), this form may need to be signed by OISE as the "agency" that is requesting the reference check.  Although OISE is not the organization requiring the check, OISE has agreed to act as the "agency" in order for these checks to be completed before you have been assigned to a school for your placement.  You must deal with the police service where you live and follow the procedures that they have in place.   
Copy of Birth Certificate:  Students are not required to provide to the OISE Registrar's Office a photocopy of their Birth Certificate or proof of date and place of birth.  However, you are required to submit this information to the Ontario College of Teachers when applying for certification.  
Change of Name:  Documentation pertaining to any change in your name must be provided to the OISE Registrar’s Office. Your name on our records must include your full legal name, any differnces may result in difficulty in ortaining your student card.
Deposit:  To secure your space in the program, a $300 non-refundable deposit is required as part of the acceptance of an Offer of admission into the Master of Teaching or the Master of Arts in Child Study and Education (OISE Teacher Certification Programs). The due date is June 1st.  This deposit will be put toward your tuition when the program begins. The deposit form and additional information is included in the the offer of admission package.
Teaching in a Catholic School:  Students who are interested in teaching in a Catholic School are required to take a religious education certificate course, in addition to their regular electives.  For course details see


OISEcms v.1.0 | Site last updated: Thursday, January 18, 2018 Disclaimer | Webmaster

© OISE University of Toronto
Ontario Institute for Studies in Education, University of Toronto, 252 Bloor Street West, Toronto, Ontario M5S 1V6 CANADA