The OISE Bursary Program
About the Program
The OISE Bursary Program provides financial assistance to students at OISE who qualify on the basis of financial need. Bursaries are non-repayable. The Bursary Program takes care to adhere to the University of Toronto Policy on Student Financial Support but is also sensitive to extenuating personal circumstances and may take these into account when assessing bursary applications. OISE students might also be eligible for other sources of financial assistance administered by the University of Toronto (e.g., UTAPS and the Work-Study Program).
To be eligible for an OISE bursary:
- You must be a currently registered OISE student. Teacher Candidates in the Concurrent Teacher Education Program (CTEP) are required to apply for bursary assistance through the Registrar's Office in their home faculty (example: Faculty of Music, Victoria College, Faculty of Kinesiology and Physical Education).
- Students are expected to rely on OSAP (or another provincial government assistance program) up to the maximum loan amount before applying for bursary assistance.
- During their first year of study, students are expected to contribute a minimum of $2500 to their educational expenses from either savings or from study-period employment.
When can I apply for a bursary?
*****PLEASE NOTE THE FALL 2015 APPLICATION IS NOW AVAILABLE********
Fall applications will be accepted from September 1 until December 1. Any applications received after December 1st will be considered but may not be processed until January.
Fall bursary applications will not be processed until UTAPS information is available from Enrolment Services. We expect to receive confirmation about UTAPS amounts in early October.
Winter bursary applications will be accepted from January 1 until March 15.
Please refer to this website for the most up-to-date information.
Bursary applications will be processed on an on-going, continual basis throughout each academic session. You may apply for – and receive – a bursary once per academic session (Doctoral and MT programs: fall term/winter term/summer term; Masters programs other than MT: fall term/winter term only). Supporting documentation must accompany EACH bursary application if you are claiming additional expenses.
1. Apply for a bursary online. You will have two weeks to submit any supporting documentation to Student Engagement in order to substantiate any additional expense claims. We have an after hours drop-box if you are unable to make it to the office between 8:30 am and 4:30 pm (the office closes at 4 pm in July and August). Or, documents can be mailed to our address:
Registrar's Office and Student Services, OISE
RE: Bursary Expenses
252 Bloor Street West, 4th Floor
We will accept the following documents for any additional allowable expenses that fall under these recognized categories:
- Debt servicing
- Child Care
- Professional Health Care
- Vehicle Insurance
Please see the "Additional Allowable Expenses" section in the Detailed Bursary Program Guidelines for information about appropriate documentation. In addition, out-of-province students will need to submit student loan assessments from their home province. Beyond this two week period, bursary applications will be assessed without additional expenses.
2. Your application will be reviewed in approximately two weeks. Processing times are slower during peak periods, which are typically at the beginning and end of each session, and assessments can take between four to six weeks during these times. Assessments are also sometimes delayed if OSAP and UTAPS amounts have not been confirmed.
3. A written response will be sent to each bursary applicant by email. The email address you provide on your application will be used for communication purposes.
4. Bursaries will normally be applied to fees first. The Financial Aid Coordinator will consider making alternate arrangements if there are extenuating personal circumstances.
Any questions regarding bursaries can be directed to the Student Services front desk at 416-978-4300 or by email to email@example.com.