Decrease font size Reset font size Increase font size

FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions) 

Important Application Notes:

  • Slate is used across SGS graduate units.
  • Please note, there is no Statement of Intent to upload. Instead, we now have “Faculty Questions” to be answered by the applicant for the online application. Please DO NOT upload a Statement of Intent as we will not see it.
  • Only 2 reference letters are required: Normally, 1 academic and 1 professional.  (The system will allow them to add up to 5 referee names, we only want 2).
  • Please visit our OISE recruitment websites AND the ORSS Admissions website for instructions, details and information on application. 
  • Applicants must pay the $235 application fee and submit their application in order for the application to be considered. We won’t see the application until you pay.
  • OISE Applicants can submit up to 3 separate applications with the one ($235) fee payment. This means separate faculty questions, separate transcript uploads, separate reference letters, etc. (main November 15, 2021 deadline).


CSE (Child Study and Education)


Note that changes are possible in response to Covid-19. We will pivot as necessary for safety. Courses and placements are progressing nicely this year.


You are a good fit for the program if…

·       You want to be an exemplary teacher and may be interested in an eventual leadership role in education

o   child-centred

o   attention to l developmental stages, psychology lens

o   evidence-informed

o   inquiry approach

·       You want to study effective teaching strategies at the graduate studies level

·       Your interest in children is demonstrated by your work and/or volunteer history (work with groups of children preferable)

·       You are curious about research pertaining to the welfare and growth of children

·       Your undergraduate grades were strong (mid B or better)

·       Applications to the RIT field of study will not be accepted for a fall 2021 start.


Will I be an OCT qualified teacher after graduating?
Yes. You’ll be an “official” teacher qualified by the Ontario College of Teachers (OCT) to teach in Ontario. You must apply to obtain formal OCT membership. We communicate OCT application info to our students when they are in their final year. Our grads teach across Canada and all over the globe.

What does an average day look like in the program?

  • Year-1: Placements in Mornings only Monday to Thursday. Class most afternoons. Class on Friday morning. No class on Friday afternoon. Generally no evening classes – possibly one.
  • Year-2: Placement (called internship) in EITHER fall or winter term. Four academic courses in morning or afternoon in the academic term. No evening classes. Placement full days on Monday and Tuesday in the internship term – mornings only on Wednesday, Thursday and Friday. Class on Wednesday and Thursday afternoon.
  • Morning classes generally begin at 9:30. Afternoon courses generally end at 4:30pm. Different schools have different start and end times.
  • Expect coursework and practicum planning in much of your spare time.
  • Full-time enrolment from September in Year 1 to April in Year 2, including 3 half courses to be taken in the spring and summer (likely possible to avoid Toronto rent from May to August or at least in July and August).

What are the courses like?
I have attached a course list to give you a better idea of what students learn. Links to course descriptions are available here – click on the course number.

Does this program offer help with the math test for teachers?
Yes. Our math experts offer extensive support. We surveyed students who took the test last year for their feedback. Almost all students responded to indicate they were successful and felt very well supported.

What if I am interested in research and possibly further graduate study?
There are definitely options for more intensive research involvement within the program. Several of the PhD candidates currently working toward their degrees at the Dr. Eric Jackman Institute of Child Study (our building) are MA CSE graduates. Many of our new Child Study & Education EdD program students are MA CSE graduates as well. Please refer to the attached Research in the MA CSE Program sheet for details on how research can look in the program. You can access Child Study & Education Doctor of Education program details here and via the attached document.

Interest in Special Education
It is definitely possible to focus upon special education as an area of interest within our program, although it doesn't have a formal name or designation.

Due to an Ontario College of Teachers ruling, special ed practicum placements are no longer allowed in Ontario… in any teacher ed program (much to our dismay).

Some students choose to do an extra practicum placement in the spring after completing year-1 or year-2 in order to complete a placement in a special education setting. There is a practicum review (evaluation) so the experience could be quite helpful in terms of pursuing a teaching position in special education.

One of our required courses is "Intro to Special Education and Adaptive Instruction" and universal design for learning ideas are embedded into all required courses. Many of our students opt to take up to three special education electives on top of this and also to complete a Spec Ed Part 1 Additional Qualifications course for teachers at OISE in the spring after completing the program (normally for a reduced fee). This AQ credential is desirable to principals as they hire staff, and of course, it equips students with vital knowledge to help students with special needs.

Some students become involved with the OISE Chapter of the Council for Exceptional Children. The CEC is the largest international professional organization dedicated to improving the educational success of children and youth with disabilities and/or gifts and talents. The CEC meets roughly once a month to put on workshops for teachers to gain skills and knowledge around supporting students with special needs in the classroom.

These are some of the ways or students learn about how to meet the needs of ALL students. There are lots of students and faculty with a strong spec ed interest in our program and department.

Will the RIT stream be offered again?
This is uncertain. It may be best to focus on the research options available to students outlined in the attached Research in the MA CSE Program document.

Police Check
A satisfactory full disclosure vulnerable sector police check must be provided in order to begin placements in September. Details are provided in spring to those accepted into the program.

Child Development Course
If you didn’t earn a child development credit in your undergraduate studies, it will be necessary to complete APD1201H Child and Adolescent Development as one of your electives in order to graduate. A course will meet our requirement if it considers physical, intellectual, behavioural, emotional and social development from birth through adolescence and the impact of the interaction of these various aspects of development upon the individual as a whole.

Should I apply if I already have a BEd?
We normally do not accept students who have already completed a BEd because there will be too much overlap with previous training.  In most cases, it is not advisable to apply. Perhaps our department’s MEd degree in the Developmental Psychology and Education program, which is geared toward teachers/professionals in the field, would be a better option for you. More information can be found here.

What if I want to become a Principal?
Further graduate level coursework will be necessary in order to meet the requirements to take the principal qualifications course (same for the MT program). You can investigate how many (sorry, I’m not sure) by consulting with the Continuing and Professional Learning department at OISE at They “run” the course and should be able to advise.

Where do your graduates sit on the QECO payscale?
Normally our grads receive an A3 classification.



Is financial support available?

I am not aware of many award applications relevant to applicants who are not yet registered students. Should you be admitted into the program, I will provide a list of financial support options (for students who are not yet registered but have an “invited” status).

Award opportunities for registered MA CSE students from JICS (our Institute) and OISE are cited on our website. Click here to see those application opportunities.

It may be possible to apply for the following awards prior to admission:

Graduate Assistantship (GA):
This is a research-oriented job at OISE. Consider applying if you have even a little research experience. Click here for more information.

GA Questions:
Anna Mozharova, OISE Graduate Student Funding Officer

Ontario Graduate Scholarship (OGS):
Consider applying if you earned at least an A- average in the last two years of undergraduate studies. Click here for details.

OGS Questions:
Stacey Kwan, SGS Graduate Awards Office


Should you be awarded the GA or the OGS, the money will apply to year-2 of the program.

Click here for award info.



How many students will be accepted into the program?

Where does the experience chart go?
At the bottom of your CV document.

If you are applying to more than one OISE program, we suggest you include one heading for each program in your faculty questions section to guide the reader. You can apply the length restriction to each section of the document rather than to the document as a whole.

Can I leave the Proposed Area of Study field in the online application system blank?
Yes. It’s for programs where a supervisor must be identified.

Is experience with children necessary? Should I bother to apply if I don’t have any?
It is important that your application shows that you have been striving to gain experience working with children and that you have worked in positions of responsibility. We want our students to have a realistic sense of what working with kids is like. Paid experience managing groups of elementary school-aged children is particularly advantageous in terms of admission. Any experience with children is valued and should be included in your application – volunteer work too!

Letters of Reference – Can I have more than two?
Not for this program. One academic (from a professor) and one professional reference (from a supervisor who has witnessed your work with children) are the only references we will accept.

Letters of Reference – Do I submit them?
Once you have confirmed your application by moving to the payment stage, the system will automatically email each of your referees an invitation to submit a letter of reference, along with technical instructions. Please ensure all your referees are expecting the email from the University of Toronto School of Graduate Studies. Occasionally, the invitation ends up in junk mail.

Does my academic reference letter have to be from a professor?
Providing a letter from a professor is the strongest way to represent your academic abilities.

What if it’s not possible to get an academic reference?
Even if you have been out of school for years, it’s possible that a prof will remember you. You can remind them of your capabilities by providing transcripts, a past essay or assignment or a list of academic awards and achievements. If it’s just not possible to have a former professor write the letter, perhaps a supervisor/employer could provide the reference. It is appropriate for the professor or employer to comment on things like general impressions of your aptitude, contributions in class, work with others, writing/language skills, problem solving ability, creativity, organizational skills, research ability, technical expertise, research software savvy, or any other academic asset you would bring to our program.

Covid-19 makes it difficult to obtain experience with children this year. Will this be taken into consideration?
While our admissions committee will regard each application with compassion, each applicant will still be competing against others. Those with lots of relevant experience and strong academic aptitude will rank the highest. If you don’t have any experience it may be better to apply after you’ve had the opportunity to work with groups of children.

Does the order of ranked programs matter?
The order in which you rank us when you apply won’t negatively impact anything. It’s the content of your application – your achievements, experiences, attitudes and interests – that matters.

Will interviews be conducted online in January and February?
Yes. Interviews will be conducted using Zoom. We will be in touch via email with those who earn an interview. The interview (a friendly conversation involving a few questions) allows us to get to know candidates better and to further explore their academic interests and attitude/experiences working with children.



How much practical experience will I get?
Normally students undertake over 600 hours of practical experience in our program. I believe we offer more practical experience than any other program. Plus, it’s possible to do an extra, optional placement on top of this.

Will I have a placement in each division?
Normally, students have one placement in Kindergarten, one in a primary grade (1, 2 or 3) and one in a junior grade (4, 5 or 6) in year-1. Students request either a primary or junior division placement for year-2. Our practicum team places students in different types of schools as well so that our graduates have the most diverse collection of experiences possible upon graduating in order to be really well prepared for employment.

We have permanent practicum coordinators (all former teachers and principals) who work with students over 2 the years and provide lots of support for placements and preparation for employment.

Can I have a placement outside of Toronto?
Our placements are all in Toronto District School Board (TDSB) Toronto Catholic District School Board (TCDSB) and Toronto independent schools. It’s not possible to have a placement elsewhere unless it’s an optional extra placemen, which can be basically anywhere.

Do I arrange my own placements?
Our practicum team organizes placements. They try hard to be considerate in terms of geography, student growth and areas of interest.

Are French placements possible?
Yes, if the student passes a French proficiency test (usually taken at OISE). It’s also necessary to successfully complete French as a Second Language Part 1 in the Spring or Summer of the first year to enable a French placement in year-2. Usually, students with French placements secure full-time contract teaching positions immediately after graduating.

What is the difference between an Early Childhood Educator (ECE) and a teacher?
Teachers are qualified to teach in a particular division ranging from elementary school to high school. Our program qualifies graduates to teach from JK to Grade 6 (primary/junior divisions). Graduates of an ECE program are qualified to care for children from infancy to Kindergarten.

Can I handle the demands of this program with kids at home?
It seems to be a very challenging process, but yes. Some of our students have children, some of whom are babies and toddlers.

Can some of my psychology courses count toward the program?
In most cases, a credit transfer is not possible.

How has COVID impacted practical experience?
Our students are currently in placements in person with a few exceptions. If schools pivot to online learning, our students will follow their Associate Teachers. Things are progressing quite smoothly for all so far thanks to the dedication of our team!

How should my CV be formatted? Is a particular layout required?
This is up to the individual. There is no preferred “look” as long as your CV is clear.

For the second year, do students have the ability to choose which will be the academic term and which will be the internship/placement term?
Students can request and our practicum team does their best to accommodate. It’s common for students to get the requested term.

What does 5-term program mean?
The MA CSE program is 5 terms in length – fall, winter, spring/summer (year-1) and fall, winter (year-2). You will be studying in the spring and summer between year 1 and 2. The summer term will be a bit lighter. Summer courses are all online. It may be possible to do all online spring courses as well. 

Can I pursue a PhD after completing this degree?
Those completing the MA CSE should want to be TEACHERS. But yes, it is possible to pursue a PhD afterward. As mentioned above, several of the PhD students studying at the Dr. Eric Jackman Institute of Child Study are MA CSE graduates. Many of our current EdD students are MA CSE graduates too. You can access Child Study & Education Doctor of Education program details here and via the attached sheet as well.

Do I need teachable subjects for this program?
No. Elementary teachers are responsible for teaching all subjects so you don’t need to declare a teachable subject as a focus.

What is the difference between the MA CSE and the MT program?
You can apply to up to 3 programs at OISE for the same application fee. You may wish to apply for more than one teacher education program – particularly the two primary/junior programs (MA CSE and MT) if this is an age group that interests you. You will be asked to rank your preference.

It’s difficult to compare the programs with little interaction with the MT program, but here are a few differences.

Our focus is the child and child development – we use a psychology lens when considering children and teaching. I believe the MT program focuses on curriculum.

The MT program offers teacher preparation for all three divisions – Primary/Junior (JK – Gr. 6), Junior/Intermediate (Gr. 4 – Gr. 10) and Intermediate/Senior (high school). Our MA CSE program offers Primary/Junior teacher education only. 

Our program is for those who wish to become exemplary classroom teachers and to acquire the skills to continuously grow, improve, and lead.  The PBI field was created to match what Ontario leaders in education report that they want to see in schools: 1) inquiry 2) collaboration 3) continuous improvement. Students complete a research project as part of PBI coursework (don’t worry – you’ll be well-supported). There are further research opportunities for those interested. For example, some of our students join a professor's research lab and some complete a qualifying research paper (thesis-like).

There are structural differences between the two programs. In our program, year-1 students are in placements in the morning and have the opportunity to reflect on their practice each afternoon in classes. There are 3, 8-week placements and the OPTION to do a 4th block in the spring. In year-2, our 13-week internship placements are full days on Monday and Tuesday and mornings only on Wednesday, Thursday and Friday – so a very in-depth, rich learning experience. In the MT program, students are either in placement or in class and I believe their placements are all 4 weeks in length.

The MA CSE program offers around 600 hours of practical experience, exceeding the classroom experience opportunities offered by other programs. Our placements are in TORONTO schools – TDSB, TCDSB, Toronto independent schools and in our Lab School.

We offer placements and observation opportunities in our award-winning on-site Lab School. It’s a school where teaching practices and learning opportunities are anchored in inquiry, developmental readiness, and emerging research. Lab School teacher-researchers, professors and MA students in our building are constantly striving to improve the lives of children.

One of our strengths is that most required courses are taught by dedicated Child Study and Education faculty members who are world-renowned experts/researchers in the subject taught. Almost all of our faculty members used to be elementary classroom teachers.  It’s my understanding that MT program instructors are mostly stipends or seconded teachers who don’t have the same level of academic expertise.

Our program is significantly smaller than the MT program. Our students are well-supported in a warm and friendly environment. Faculty members go by their first names and know students’ names.

The MA CSE has earned a reputation for excellence in Toronto and well beyond. For example, I have heard over and over again that our program has the highest employment rate of all teacher ed programs. Our graduates are desirable to employers and continue to fare quite well in a tough job market.

Important Documents:


More questions?


CP (Counselling Psychology)


According to the application requirements for the Master of Education in Counseling Psychology and Psychotherapy program, an academic reference is preferred, along with a professional reference, however, will two professional references be accepted instead of one academic and one professional reference?
Yes. For applicants several years from their undergraduate programs, a strong academic reference may be difficult to obtain.  The want is to have one of the practical referees speak to your scholarship too – perhaps critical thinking/writing, report writing, literature reviews, presentation skills, and all-around collegiality – in addition to what she/he can offer toward your practical skills.

Can you please confirm that this program does not have a research component?
The MEd degree programs do not have a research component.  Applicants do not need to identify professors of research interest, but can list courses of interest which they teach.

Does what programs we do for our undergraduate influence our chances of getting into the program?
The MEd Counselling and Psychotherapy program does not require a specific undergraduate major.  Any 4 year BA with a B+ or better in the last year is fitted.  Applicants will want to demonstrate their academic scholarship with their faculty questions and via their reference letters, such as critical thinking and writing.

Is a successful work experience not related to counselling field not recommended to apply?
Applicants are encouraged to elaborate only on  practical exposures relevant to mental health skills building and preparedness for a successful practicum placement.

Due to COVID, it has been difficult to find available volunteer opportunities as the training sessions have been backed up and delayed. Is it possible to be accepted into the program while still in the process of completing our 1 year of experience?
The admission requirements and practical exposure needed for an MEd application have not been relaxed or modified in light of covid. Our graduate course demands and need for the practicum sites to receive qualified students remain the same.

However, we invite applicants to elaborate on any complementary skills and exposures which may be helpful in predicting counselling success, though perhaps not specific to counselling, in their Faculty Questions, Resume, and via their reference letters.

For students who are in the process of completing their undergraduate degree, does the admissions committee look at just the 3rd year courses since the 4th year grades aren't released? Are there a certain number of courses they take to calculate an admissions average? 
For applicants applying during their final year of the undergraduate program, an application GPA is not calculated.   If an admissions offer is received in late March/early April, it will be conditional upon submitting proof of graduation and receiving a B+ or better GPA in the last 5 full-year equivalent degree course credits.

For the MEd in CP - Counselling and Psychotherapy what is the minimum numbers of courses you can take as full time student. Are courses offered over the spring and summer months? 
Full-time registration in the MEd program is typically 3 courses per semester. This is 6 in the first year, and the remaining 4 in the 2nd year, including the practicum placement. Summer courses are available. These are electives and are optional.

Would it be possible to apply as international student and change the status afterwards if permanent residency is granted after been accepted by the university? 
An applicant’s residency status would not affect the review of their application. When an offer of admission is received, in late March or early April, the applicant may update our OISE registrars’ office with their residency status at that time.

If we have just begun a volunteer position with a crisis line that we are committed to for one year, (meaning at the time of the application we will only have been in the position for a month), will this still be considered for relevant experience since we will by 2021 have been volunteering for a year?
Yes, the one year practical experience requirement is counted back from when an applicant would begin the program next September.  We encourage applicants to consider when is the best year to apply, when familiar and glowing letters of reference can be secured.

Experiences beginning at the time of application will often not have substantial relationship-building for the referee to elaborate upon.

I am trying to get an idea of what the program looks like and I’m not having a lot of luck online. Do you happen to have an example schedule of what courses are offered and what your week would look like ? Also, does the program help to find you a placement and is the 250 hours direct or does that include all direct and indirect hours at placement? 
A representative course schedule is not available, but full-time registration is typically 3 courses per semester, which can be scheduled in 2 or 3 days - 9 hours of in-class time per week.   The 2nd year includes 4 more courses plus a two day a week practicum placement.   The minimum 250 hours is inclusive of indirect and direct client hours - the latter being a minimum of 25%.



What does EdD bring in terms of career prospects compared to MEd in counselling?
Our EdD program in Counselling and Psycotherapy provides for advanced training in counselling techniques and is attractive to those pursuing leadership positions in their place of practice.  It does not provide for further professional registration than does our MEd degree program - each with the CRPO.


CCP (Counselling and Clinical Psychology)


If I have multiple volunteer experiences from various institutions but for one semester each, collectively adding up to a little over a year, would that be alright?
Yes.  Applicants are encouraged to select from a variety of experiences those skills which are relevant and predictive of a successful practicum placement.

I am interested in both the MA and MEd. Has the GRE been waived for the MA this year? 
The GRE General and Subject-Psychology test scores are not required for an application this year.   This was earlier a requirement only for the MA CCP program.  A decision about its requirement for next year’s application cycle will be available early Summer 2021.

Are any of the courses commencing 2021 going to be online? Are practicum placements limited to the Toronto area or would it be possible to arrange something in London?   
During the covid restrictions, all our course offerings are online and practicum placements are also online, as the hosting sites elect to operate.  Students can arrange for a qualifying site outside of the GTA, but should be mindful of the commute to OISE for remaining coursework if and when the covid restrictions are eased. 

When looking at core faculty, are the professors that accepting students in 2020-2021 the only ones we can apply to work with, or can we try and contact the other professors?
Applicants are encouraged to consider only those faculty who are listed as accepting students.

If I have not completed one of the courses suggested for admission but am currently enrolled in the course, will I still be considered for admission?
Applicants to the MA CCP program will need to demonstrate that their academic background is equivalent to a psychology undergraduate program major at the U of T.   Applicants may peruse the U of T undergraduate program web page for course breadth requirements and use their Faculty Questions to elaborate upon alternative courses and equivalencies in their academic coursework.

Would you recommend getting in contact with potential supervisors prior to submitting our respective application(s)? 
With the volume of applicant interest, faculty do not typically have the resources to respond to each request, nor is there an expectation that applicants should confirm research fit prior.   We recommend applicants to review the faculty bio pages and online publications to make best judgements of complementary interests, and to list a name or two within their faculty questions.

What are the differences between the counselling and clinical psychology program at OISE and the clinical psychology program at UTSC? Do they lead to same or different careers?
The OISE and UTSC program fields fall under the same graduate program umbrella and each will lead to the same end – registration with the CPO.

The faculty at OISE have an interest area in humanistic and social modalities – diversity, LGBTQ, careers, etc, - along with the typical clinical focus on assessments, diagnostic, etc.    The UTSC faculty may have other interests, such as neuroscience and biological bases as  well, for example.  

Do peruse the faculty research areas and select the program where your thesis supervisor of interest is affiliated. You may choose to apply to both programs, but this would be two separate applications and fees.

My research interest match research area of the core faculty who is unfortunately not listed on the ""Who's Accepting?"" list for this year. What should I do in that case? Would they potentially be open to co-supervise the MA thesis?
Yes.  We ask that you direct your research interests to a faculty member who is listed as accepting students this year.   An MA thesis will have a 2nd committee member (and a PhD will have 3 additional members) and faculty not accepting students this year may serve as the additional member.



I have a Masters in Clinical Mental Health Counseling, and licensed to practice psychotherapy in New York with 7 years of experience. I do not have a Bachelors in psychology though. Would you still consider accepting my application?
An application to the PhD program requires an undergraduate degree in psychology and a master’s degree in clinical/counselling psyhology. If an applicant’s master’s program was psychotherapy, and application to our PhD would be inadmissable, but we would suggest to consider our Doctor of Education, Counselling and Psychotherapy.  It does not lead to registration with the CPO, however.


SCCP (School and Clinical Child Psychology)


Do I need to complete the GRE when I apply to the SCCP program?
No, you are not required to submit the GRE for admission to the SCCP program. 

I understand that I need to include one professional reference letter. Who is eligible to write this?
Your professional reference letter can come from anyone who has knowledge of your ability to work with children and families. Examples may include a supervisor at a volunteer setting or summer camp or an employer at a setting where you worked with children or families as part of your job (e.g., daycare centre, community recreation program).

Should I contact the professor with whom I would like to do research with? 
If you are applying to the MA or PhD program, it is important to identify the professor or professor(s) whose research interests you share and refer to these professors within your faculty questions in your application. You can find a list of the faculty and their research interests on the department website.

Would you be able to clarify how many reference letters are needed? 
3 (2 academic, 1 professional)

Does registration with the College of Psychologists of Ontario mean that we can only practice in Ontario? Or all over Canada?
The SCCP PhD  program meets the requirements to  practice in Ontario and in Canada upon successful registration at the College of Psychologists.

As a follow-up to the work-life balance question asked on zoom, do students have breaks during the program, such as winter, spring, or summer breaks?
There is a mid-winter break in March.  Some of our students take extra classes that are offered in the spring and summer session.

If our gpa scale from undergrad is different than u of t do we need to submit our gpa scale or will you admissions look into it to adjust our undergrad grades to the UofT scale?  
Yes our staff in the Registrar’s Office will convert your GPA

How important is it to apply for graduate external awards on your initial application?
The Admissions committee will be looking at the answers of your faculty questions; letters of reference; and previous grades (GPA).

DPE (Developmental Psychology and Education)


What is the difference between the MA nd MEd degree in Developmental Psychology & Education? I am currently a 4th year at UofT majoring in Psychology. My goal is to work with children, I initially thought that Masters in DPE would result in a Counselling degree. Could you explain the main differences between the MA and Med?  
The DPE MA program is a 1- year program and is for those who wish  primarily to pursue a career in research, university or community college teaching, and related activities.  

The DPE MEd program 1.5 years and is for those who wish to construct an overall perspective of developmental psychology, human development and mental health by integrating theory and practice. Students will understand the implications of these areas for practice with children in educational and other applied settings. 

I have a degree in Honors Child Development is this an equivalent to psychology? Or do I need a psychology degree? 
The minimum admission requirements for the DPE MA program Applicants must have an appropriate bachelor's degree with the equivalent of a University of Toronto A– or better. Although most applicants will have a degree in psychology, applicants with an appropriate bachelor's degree in cognitive science, computer science, linguistics, or a helping profession such as occupational therapy, speech-language pathology, physiotherapy, nursing, social work, or another discipline relevant to their specific program of study are also eligible to apply for admission.



Is there a date to start this program for the winter term? 
No, the DPE MEd program only starts in the Fall term, there’s no winter start date. 

Is there a part-time option for this program?
Yes, students can choose part-time or full-time registration status and choose maximum course load based on your registration status. See OISE Office of the Registrar and Student Services for maximum course load:

How do students gain supervisors?
The DPE MEd program is a non-thesis degree so you do not have a supervisor that you work one on one with. Instead you have a Faculty Advisor that you can speak with if you have questions regarding program requirements, course selection etc.

Do you need to have a degree in Psychology?
No, the minimum admission requirements for this program is an appropriate honours bachelor’s degree (4-year) in psychology or equivalent with standing equivalent to a University of Toronto mid-B or better in the final year or over senior courses.

If unable to provide an academic reference, would two professional ones work instead? 
While a minimum of two letters of reference – one academic and one professional – should be included in your application, sometimes applicants experience difficulty obtaining a letter of reference. For example, if you graduated many years ago and have since not been active in an academic setting you may be unable to call upon a university instructor with whom you studied. You're strongly encouraged to obtain one academic and one professional letter of reference, but you may submit an alternative combination such as two reference letters from a professional source. Tip: for two professional letters direct the most suitable referee to include comments pertaining to your intellectual abilities and potential. 

Is the MEd for teachers only?
No, you do not need be a certified teacher to apply. We have many of our students who do not have a teaching degree applying to the DPE MEd program.

How does the funding work for the MEd program?
The DPE MEd program is a non-funded degree. You pay your registration based on the registration status you choose; either full-time or part-time registration. Please see link from OISE Office of the Registrar and Student Services:

Can you switch to PT or FT half way?
Yes, you can request to change your registration status from PT to FT or FT to PT. You must contact your Registration Specialist in the OISE Office of the Registrar and Student Services and make the request to change your registration status. Please keep in mind that changing your registration status will affect your registration fees; contact your Registration Specialist of details:

What is considered PT course load and what is the approximate length of time it would take to take this program part-time, if full-time is 1.5 years. DPE MEd Program Length 4 sessions full-time (typical registration sequence: F/W/S/F); 10 sessions part-time

How does the collaborative specialization work? 
The Collaborative Specialization in Educational Policy serves students interested in developing an understanding of the factors associated with educational policy development and implementation, with particular emphasis on developing theoretical and practical strategies for improving educational processes. The collaborative specialization's intellectual objectives include providing students with exposure to cross-field and crossdisciplinary approaches to educational problem framing and problem solving in order to broaden the possibilities for innovative and effective policy analysis; helping students understand how to apply theoretical concepts to particular social and educational problems in particular settings; and understanding the broader social, institutional, and policy contexts within which educational policy processes occur. There are two required courses and an annual lecture series. Upon successful completion of the degree requirements of the participating home graduate unit and the collaborative specialization, students will receive the notation "Completed Collaborative Specialization in Educational Policy" on their transcript: