Jump to Main Content
Decrease font size Reset font size Increase font size

Frequently Asked Questions

Each year, incoming teacher candidates send us questions about the Master of Teaching program. Below, we’ve summarized some of the more frequently asked questions, and our responses. We hope these questions and answers are helpful to you!

Q. When I complete the Master of Teaching program, what QECO / OSSTF category will I be placed in? 

Most Master of Teaching graduates are assessed by the Qualifications Evaluation Council of Ontario (QECO/COEC) and Ontario Secondary School Teachers' Federation (OSSTF/FEESO) at an A3 / Group 3 level, which is the second-highest rating. To obtain an A4 / Group 4 level (the highest rating) you need an Ontario College of Teachers Certificate of Qualification and Registration (which you will earn in the MT program), plus Additional Teacher Learning in the form of: a master’s degree completed independently of teacher certification OR a doctoral degree OR two three-part Specialist qualifications OR any of the other possibilities presented on the QECO website.

Note: A Master of Teaching degree cannot simultaneously count toward both i) Your Ontario College of Teachers Certificate of Qualification and Registration; and ii) Your Additional Teacher Learning requirements. It can only count toward i) because it is your 'entry to profession' degree.

Q. Will the MT program qualify me for a Principal’s Qualification Program (PQP)?

The prerequisites for PQP are established by the Ontario College of Teachers. The official list of prerequisites can be found in Regulation 176, section 32. Here is a simplified list: Postsecondary degree (e.g., four-year Honours BA) Initial Teacher Education, leading to an Ontario Teacher's Certificate Five years of successful classroom teaching experience in elementary or secondary education Qualifications in three divisions (e.g., Primary-Junior-Intermediate or Junior-Intermediate-Senior) Additional Teacher Learning, consisting of: a) Two Specialist Qualifications (either a 3-part Specialist or an Honours Specialist) OR b) A Master’s Degree or a Doctorate Degree (see the regulations for complete details) c) A member in good standing with the Ontario College of Teachers Once you satisfy all of these prerequisites, you are eligible to take PQP Part 1. According to the Ontario College of Teachers, the university credits used for Initial Teacher Education (#2 above) cannot be the same credits that are used for the Master’s Degree (#5b above). Your MT degree is your "entry to profession" degree and therefore does not satisfy the "Additional Teacher Learning" requirement. 

Q. What is the deadline for paying for Fall/Winter term fees?

Your tuition fee is collected by the Fees department at the University of Toronto and not by OISE. The 2021-22 tuition fee schedule and information on paying fees will be available on the Student Accounts website in July.

Q. Is there a reading list?

We suggest that you give some thought to topics in the field of education that interest you and generate some sample questions that you might like to purse. However, there is no need to do anything beyond that. In the CTL7006 Educational Research 1 course, we’ll teach you how to access the University of Toronto’s extensive electronic library containing thousands of journals and other research resources. At that point, you will begin a review of the literature in your topic of interest.

Q. What does the Master of Teaching Student Association (MTSA) offer?

The MTSA is a great support system for MT candidates. The MTSA can answer any of your questions about the MT program and offer insight into student experiences. Each year, they schedule talks, workshops, social events, fundraisers, and many other events.

Q. What funding opportunities are available to MT students?

The Tuition and Financial Support website is a good resource to bookmark, providing you with up-to-date information on Tuition Fees, Student Employment Opportunities, OSAP & Student Loans, Scholarships and Bursaries: http://www.oise.utoronto.ca/oise/Tuition_and_Financial_Support/index.html As a member of a graduate program, you will also be able to apply for sources of funding that are not available to undergraduate students; e.g., the Ontario Graduate Scholarship (OGS) Program. For extensive list of funding opportunities, please also consult our Scholarships and Awards page.

Q. What are the opportunities for doctoral studies, once I complete the MT program?

Each year, a number of Master of Teaching graduates decide to extend their studies and apply for doctoral studies. We’ve established a dedicated FAQ about this topic for interested students.

Q. What will the research component of the MT program look like?

You do not require any previous experience with research when you begin the MT program. In the first year, you’ll take an introductory “research literacy” course. In the second year, you will build on this knowledge and conduct small-scale research study of your own. Here is a brief description of each course:

Year 1: CTL7006 Educational Research 1 – Research Literacy. This course fosters MT candidates’ research literacy and deepens their understanding of the role that research plays in the field of education. Candidates develop understanding of how to access, interpret, synthesize, and evaluate research literature, as well as what it means to enact research-informed practice. Candidates also deepen their understanding of how their own positionalities and experiences affect their identities and practices as teacher-researchers. In this course, candidates review the research literature in an area of education that interests them, and write a 15-20 research paper.

Year 2: CTL7015 Educational Research 2 – Research Methods Lab. In this course, candidates conduct a small scale qualitative research study using either semi-structured interviews or document analysis. This course gives special attention to research design, data collection, data analysis, and knowledge mobilization. Candidates produce a 15-20 page research paper that outlines their research studies and findings, and they present their research at the annual end-of-year MT Research Conference.

Q. Should I begin investigating a research field of interest over the summer, prior to the start of the program?

We suggest that you give some thought to topics in the field of education that interest you and generate some sample questions that you might like to purse. However, there is no need to do anything beyond that. In the CTL7006 Educational Research 1 course, we’ll teach you how to access the University of Toronto’s extensive electronic library containing thousands of journals and other research resources. At that point, you will begin a review of the literature in your topic of interest.

Q. Will I be assigned a research supervisor?

No. Graduates of the MT program do not produce a thesis, but rather generate two research papers (one in Year 1 and another in Year 2). The CTL7006 Educational Research 1 and CTL7015 Educational Research 2 course instructors and teaching assistants will provide you with instruction and guidance in this endeavour.

Q. I understand there are two electives. When do I take these courses?

You will take your two electives in your second year. Your first year will focus primarily on courses that help you develop your teaching competencies. In spring of Year 1, we will provide you with a list of potential elective courses. You will take one of these electives in the intersession term of your second year (May-June, 2022) and the second elective in the fall term of your second year (Sept.-Dec. 2022). Each year, electives covering a wide range of topics are offered. When taking these electives, MT students will have an opportunity to mix with students from other programs (e.g., M.Ed., M.A., Ed.D., and Ph.D).

Q. Are there opportunities for non-traditional practicum placements (e.g., overseas schools, community groups, Science Centres, etc.)?

To be certified, teacher candidates must do a minimum of 80 days of practical experience in regular classrooms approved by the Ontario College of Teachers. Practicum placements must take place in Ontario schools that use the Ontario curriculum and your Associate Teacher must be a member of the Ontario College of Teachers. You will obtain these 80 days of experience during your three practicum placements. For more information about the practicum, please visit the MT Practicum website.  While the MT program does not have an alternative practicum, and TCs are not able to do the MT practicum in a non-traditional setting, there may be MT courses and/or elective courses that involve community-based experiences.

Q. How much will I have to spend on textbooks?

We suggest you budget approximately $400-500 for textbooks. In most cases, materials will be available on Pepper, the online course environment for the MT program. You will learn more about textbook requirements during the first week of class when course outlines will be made available. 

Prospective Applicants

Thank you for your interest in the Master of Teaching program! I hope you will find this document helpful for your inquiries! 

What is happening in Fall 2021? 

Please be advised that the MT Program was designed to be completed on-site at OISE/UT on the St. George campus.

As a result of the COVID-19 pandemic, OISE graduate studies courses are currently being offered on an online basis, including those related to the MT Program. However, under regular circumstances, the MT Program is conducted on an in-person/on-site basis and is expected to return to that format when it becomes safe to do so again.

Regarding practicum placements, all field experiences will be guided by public health directions and school operations. We continue to plan responsively with our school board partners and with the direction of our regulator, the Ontario College of Teachers, and the Ministry of Education. For updates on the COVID-19 situation related to OISE/UT, please regularly check: https://www.oise.utoronto.ca/orss/COVID-19.html

#BBD0E0 »

General Information

What is the Master of Teaching program?

The Master of Teaching is a 2-year graduate level teacher education program. Our students register in full-time studies that lead to a Master of Teaching (MT) degree. Upon successful completion of the program, students will be recommended to the Ontario College of Teachers for an Ontario Teacher's Certificate of Qualifications which certifies them to teach in Ontario schools. MT graduates will receive both their teacher qualification certificate and a graduate degree. Students can choose from three program concentrations:

  • Primary/junior (Kindergarten to grade 6)
  • Junior/intermediate (grades 4 - 10)
  • Intermediate/senior (grades 7 - 12)

Please see https://www.oise.utoronto.ca/mt/Home.html for more information.

What courses do I take in the Master of Teaching program? 

Currently, students are required to complete 18 half-courses and 4 practice teaching placements (20 half-courses in total) over the two years (including the summer). This study is done on a full-time basis and normally, advanced standing is not granted in this program. Students also complete a research project on a topic related to teachers' work. (Previous experience with research is NOT a requirement for this program.) Registration in the second year is contingent upon successful completion of all first-year work and practice teaching placements.

How do I know if I'm admissible into the Master of Teaching program? 

We are looking for applicants who have sound academic backgrounds, a deep interest in equitable education and socially just practices, as well as previous experience as an instructor, mentor, or tutor. Since this is a teaching certification program, you should not apply if you already have teaching qualifications in Canada. (i.e. Ontario College of Teachers certification, Bachelor of Education). Applicants should have experience working with groups of children or learners, preferably age-appropriate to the concentration to which you are applying. All applicants to the Master of Teaching program must also have a minimum of a mid-B or better in their final year of a 4-year Bachelor's degree (or equivalent). The School of Graduate Studies establishes minimum academic requirements for admission. Be assured all applicants will be considered on their individual merits for admission to any graduate program at the University of Toronto. For a master's degree, admission requirements include an appropriate bachelor's degree with high academic standing (equivalent to at least mid-B or better in final year or over senior courses) from a recognized university. Please note: The Office of the Registrar and Student Services cannot provide an assessment of credentials prior to submission of an application. But you can calculate your own academic standing using these guidelines: For admission to a master's program: If your bachelor's degree was completed on a full-time basis, average the final year. If your bachelor's degree was completed on a part-time basis, average the five (approximately) most recent, senior-level, full courses or equivalent (students enrolled in fewer than four full course equivalents in their last academic year – including Summer Session – are considered part-time).

I do not meet the cut-off grade/GPA requirements. What can I do? 

Applicants may consider taking qualifying courses.

What are qualifying courses?

Basically, post-degree courses undertaken for academic upgrading purposes. Qualifying courses are an option if you're interested in a master's degree and your bachelor's degree was not completed with the required academic standing, or if your bachelor's degree is a three-year degree, or if your bachelor's degree is not considered an appropriate admitting degree.

Normally, qualifying courses:

  • consist of 2.5 full courses at the senior-level (third or fourth year);
  • consist of academic (liberal arts and science) courses (for example BEd study or professional training or courses with a significant practical component are not acceptable);
  • consist of courses that are reasonably relevant to the proposed graduate-level study;
  • are completed at a recognized university; and
  • are completed with an average standing equivalent to mid-B or better, with no grade lower than B-.

OISE courses undertaken as a special student are not appropriate qualifying courses.

It's important to understand successful completion of qualifying courses does not guarantee admission; all admission decisions are made on a case-by-case basis.

I have not finished my undergraduate degree yet. Can I still apply? 

There are two possible ways to apply to the program depending on your current status:

  1. If you have completed an undergraduate degree, or the applicant’s undergraduate degree, which should be complete, and conferred, by the end of June in the year in which the applicant wishes to begin the MT Program: (https://www.oise.utoronto.ca/mt/How_To_Apply.html).
  2. If you are currently a University of Toronto undergraduate student in your 3rd year, you may be interested in our Combined Degree Program option. See whether you're eligible by reading our MT Combined Degree Program Information handout.

What does a Master of Teaching offer? How does it differ from Bachelor of Education, M.A., or an M.Ed?

The Master of Teaching program is designed for people who are looking to become exceptional teachers. We are committed to excellence and the preparation of the next generation of educational leaders. MT students acquire an extensive knowledge of educational theory and best instructional practices. This program offers a challenging academic environment that emphasizes collaborative learning and is infused throughout by our commitment to equity, social justice and environmental issues. Candidates can choose from among Primary/Junior, Junior/Intermediate, Intermediate/Senior program options.

You would receive teaching certification in the B.Ed. program, however, the Master of Teaching program provides teaching certification, as well as a Master's upon successful completion. 

Master of Education (M.Ed) degrees are designed for professionals working in education-related fields. Master of Arts (M.A.) degrees are designed to provide opportunities for study, research, and theoretical analysis. 

What can I do with a Master of Teaching degree? 

The MT Program is designed for those wishing to teach in Ontario schools.

Different areas and school systems are free to set their own requirements for teacher certification – they can vary from province to province or country to country. It is not possible to guarantee that any given school system, outside of Ontario, will say that the MT Program meets their specific requirements. Prospective applicants are advised to make direct contact with whatever school system interests them to confirm what their teacher certification requirements are, before applying to the MT.

The MT Program does not place students with employers after they graduate – graduates arrange their own employment. Some graduates stay in touch with MT professors and may provide them with anecdotal information about where they become employed after graduation; however, we are not aware of specific statistics on post-graduate employment.

MT graduates may move on to a variety of careers including academia, research, consulting, etc., but each potential employer determines their own academic (and other) requirements for their positions. So, your best starting point may be the Human Resources department of the employer/school board in which you are interested.

You may find it helpful to visit the web site of the Ontario College of Teachers (https://www.oct.ca/) and/or the Ontario Ministry of Education (http://www.edu.gov.on.ca/eng/) as well.

Teachable Subjects and Prerequisites

What teachable subjects are offered? 

Over the years the MT Program has grown, and along with that growth, new teachable subjects have been added to the MT teachable subject list, based on factors such as: applicant interest, availability of Associate Teachers in our partner schools, MT teaching staff specializations, etc.

The MT web site is updated whenever new teachable subjects are added, so I would recommend that you check the site in subsequent years, particularly the 'Prerequisites' section of the site, for any changes to the teachable subject list: https://www.oise.utoronto.ca/mt/Prerequisites.html.

What constitutes an appropriate prerequisite for a teachable? 

To be eligible for consideration as an MT teachable pre-requisite, a course must be taken, for credit, as part of the applicant’s undergraduate degree, which should be complete, and conferred, by the end of June in the year in which the applicant wishes to begin the MT Program: https://www.oise.utoronto.ca/mt/How_To_Apply.html

Courses taken outside of the undergraduate degree (extra courses, academic upgrading courses, etc.) are not eligible for consideration as MT teachable pre-requisites.

If an applicant is unable to meet the pre-requisites for a given concentration, they may want to consider applying to another MT concentration instead (for example, if an applicant cannot satisfy the pre-requisites for 2 teachable subjects, as required for the Intermediate/Senior division, they are welcome to consider the Junior/Intermediate division, which requires only 1 teachable subject – likewise, if they cannot satisfy the Junior/Intermediate concentration, they may want to consider the Primary/Junior concentration).

Do I have the prerequisites for a specific teachable? 

Please be advised that OISE graduate studies/MT program office does not provide pre-assessments of applications or applicants. As such, the MT program office cannot determine which of your prior courses would meet MT teachable pre-requisites.

This important task is done by the experts in the OISE Office of the Registrar and Student Services (ORSS), who have extensive experience in transcript assessment.

This type of assessment is part of ORSS’ holistic review of a transcript – which takes place only after an application is officially submitted to OISE graduate studies (as per the information in the ORSS Graduate Admissions web site, and the MT web site - 

https://www.oise.utoronto.ca/orss/Admissions/index.html and 


Courses applicable to your teachable(s) may or may not fall under this category. It depends on the course, each of which the ORSS would assess as part of their holistic assessment of the transcript. Similarly, the ORSS would perform an assessment on the courses related to your second teachable choice if you are choosing the I/S option.

This transcript assessment takes place only after a complete application has been submitted to the University of Toronto School of Graduate Studies (and the relevant official transcripts have been sent directly to the ORSS), as per the instructions provided in the Graduate Admissions, and MT, web sites: http://www.oise.utoronto.ca/ro/Graduate_Admissions/index.html and https://www.oise.utoronto.ca/mt/Home.html

You may wish to complete your own informal academic standing assessment of whether teaching subject course prerequisites are satisfied by referring to the following links:

http://www.oise.utoronto.ca/ro/Graduate_Admissions/FAQs.html#Appropriate_degree__academically_oriented_courses and http://www.oise.utoronto.ca/mt/Prerequisites.html

What constitutes a full-year (undergraduate) course? 

Generally speaking, a full-year course refers to a university undergraduate course that lasts a full academic year (from the fall to the spring).

However, different universities can have different definitions and different credit weighting systems for courses.

Please be advised that the determination of course credit equivalencies is not made within the offices of the MT Program.

This important task is done by the experts in the OISE Office of the Registrar and Student Services (ORSS), who have extensive experience in 

transcript assessment.

This type of assessment is part of ORSS’ holistic review of a transcript – which takes place only after an application is officially submitted to OISE graduate studies (as per the information in the ORSS Graduate Admissions web site, and the MT web site - 

https://www.oise.utoronto.ca/orss/Admissions/index.html and 

https://www.oise.utoronto.ca/mt/Home.html ).

What can I do if I want to teach a particular subject but do not have enough prerequisite courses? 

Upon successful completion of the 2-year MT program, you will have the option to take Additional Qualification (AQ) courses to receive qualifications in other subjects, divisions etc.   

OISE contains a department called Continuing and Professional Learning (CPL) that offers AQ courses – this department is separate from CTL (which offers the MT Program), so if you’d like more information on those courses, please visit their site, at https://cpl.oise.utoronto.ca/

The Ontario College of Teachers (the governing body for teaching in the province of Ontario) provides information on AQ courses offered in Ontario – to consult their site, please visit https://www.oct.ca/en

I would like to teach French as a second language. What do I have to do?

It is not required to have graduated from a French language university to declare French as a teachable subject when applying to the MT Program.

If admissible to the program, applicants who select French as a Second Language as a teaching subject must demonstrate oral and written proficiency in French prior to registering in the program through testing administered at the time of admission.

Applicants who fail to demonstrate proficiency will be deemed to have NOT satisfied the prerequisite for the French teaching subject even if they have the required number of academic courses. Refer to the OISE Proficiency Test in French & International Languages (OPTFIL) for detailed information about the test. 

If you do not pass the French proficiency test, then your conditions will not be satisfied, and your offer will be withdrawn. You will have to re-apply to the program for the following academic year.

The Teacher Candidate successfully demonstrates competency in French through two criteria:

  1. Candidate successfully passes OISE's French Language Competency Test, and
  2. Candidate successfully completes the Additional Qualification (AQ) French as a Second Language (FSL) Part 1 course in the spring or summer in between Years 1 and 2.*

Please note: *FSL Part 1 is the only AQ course that students currently enrolled in a preservice program are allowed to take PRIOR to being certified as a teacher by the College. Due to this exception, enrolment in the course may require a special letter of request to the provider of the AQ course, e.g., Executive Director, Continuing and Professional Learning, OISE.

** Primary/Junior placements in French can only take place in Year 2.

Rationale: Successful completion of the AQ French as a Second Language course will provide the pedagogical and philosophical underpinnings of French language instruction in Ontario schools.

It is necessary that both criteria be met (a and b above), as the level of fluency required for a French Immersion or Core French classroom is greater than what can be determined by the French Language Competency Test.

*** The French Language testing is offered by the Continued and Professional Learning department (CPL) website: https://cpl.oise.utoronto.ca/ They are located at OISE on the 5th floor.

I am already enrolled in a Master’s program/have a Master’s degree. Can some credits be counted toward my Master of Teaching degree? 

Advanced standing/transfer credit is not granted in this program – in other words, an applicant will not receive credit towards the MT for a course taken as a Non-Degree Student, regardless of the course. In order to graduate, MT students are required to take, and successfully complete, all degree requirements, including all courses, as per the degree's structure and requirements. 

Please also be advised that MT courses are restricted to students who are registered in the MT degree program - non-MT students (whether Special Students or OISE students in another degree) are not permitted to take MT courses. Therefore, it is not possible to request a switch/transfer or offer advanced standing. 

Start Dates and Schedules

Can I start the Master of Teaching program in January? 

The Master of Teaching program has student intake once per year, and the program begins in September.

The MT Program is an intensive teacher education program, with five consecutive sessions that build upon one another, and which incorporates a cohort system (students are organized into cohorts/groups and learn together in those cohorts). In addition, the MT Program has a concentrated and cumulative nature to its material and instruction; a cohort structure; and practicum periods interspersed with course work. As such, transfers into the MT Program and/or January start dates are not permitted. 

Can I complete the Master of Teaching program as a part-time/online student? 

The MT Program is a full-time, mostly face-to-face, intensive teacher education program, with five consecutive sessions that build upon one another, and which incorporates a cohort system (students are organized into cohorts/groups and learn together in those cohorts).

What is my daily schedule like? 

Generally, classes during the Sept-April timeframe will occur 9am to 4pm with each class being three hours in length, with some Fridays allocated to conferences and special events.  Most of your Fridays will be free, with the exception of practicums.

Application Process

What do I need to submit for my Master of Teaching application? 

Your complete application will include the following:

  • Online application
  • Post-secondary transcripts
  • Resumé and experience chart
  • Statement of intent
  • Professional and academic reference letters
  • Evidence of English language proficiency, if required.

Please submit all support documentation in PDF format.

For information about the Master of Teaching program and the specific components of the application, please visit our website:


How do I apply to the Master of Teaching program?

For more information about the application:


When is the deadline for applications?

The main application date is usually around November 15. Please refer to the MT program website (https://www.oise.utoronto.ca/mt/Home.html) for up-to-date deadline information. Occasionally, an OISE Program will choose to keep one or more of its degrees open for admission beyond the main application date of November 15. However, the Program offering that degree has the option to close admission at any time after the main deadline.

How many students are accepted into the program each year? 

The MT Program continues to accept applications based on the number of vacancies it has – that number changes from year to year.

How much is the fee to apply and do I have to pay it?

All applicants must pay the application fee and the current total fee is $220 (Canadian). There are no refunds, waivers, exemptions, or deferrals of the fee.

I applied last year / I'm a current or former OISE student – do I have to re-submit documents?

Yes. If you have previously applied to OISE, or if you're a current or former OISE student, you must submit all necessary supporting documentation for your present application. Previously submitted documents (such as letters of reference and official transcripts) will not be carried forward to a new application.

Online and paper? Do I really have to provide my transcripts two ways?

First, a transcript of your academic record from each and every post-secondary institution you have attended must be included in your application. We are suspending the requirement for official transcripts at the time of application for applications to Fall 2021. However, it is your responsibility to upload an electronic or scanned transcript. The transcript must be clearly legible and accurate. OISE staff will not upload electronic transcripts to the online application system. The online electronic version facilitates our review, while the official version will be required if you are offered admission and is required as part of every student file.

Online transcripts are electronic records uploaded via the online admissions application. Official transcripts are paper records received by the Office of the Registrar and Student Services in a sealed envelope, signed/stamped by the issuing institution or secure electronic records sent by the issuing institution either directly from their own institutional website or through authorized/licensed third party providers.

Studied at the University of Toronto? You're not required to submit paper official transcripts of study undertaken at the University of Toronto from 1998 Fall Session to present.

Studied at the University of Toronto? You're not required to submit paper official transcripts of study undertaken at the University of Toronto from 1998 Fall Session to present.

It's really in your best interest to submit an official transcript along with electronic. Sometimes an unofficial student-generated record can be imprecise. With an official record we can undertake a complete and comprehensive evaluation of your file (no surprises later).

What if I can't get an official transcript?

On rare occasions, an academic institution will not issue official transcripts. As well, some applicants under extraordinary circumstances cannot acquire official transcripts. If you're unable to obtain official transcripts, submit unofficial transcript copies accompanied by a letter of explanation from you. Your situation will be reviewed. A copy typically allows us to move forward with processing an application. Ultimately, if a department is interested in presenting an offer of admission, the matter of official transcripts will be re-visited.

A reminder we will accept an academic record from World Education Services (WES) provided it meets specific criteria (see Information for International Applicants, Transcripts).

My current transcript shows courses in-progress. Should I submit another transcript when new grades become available? 

No. Applications are evaluated based on transcripts received at the time of application; we don’t revisit an application if new grades become available. If an updated transcript is required, we’ll let you know (e.g., an offer of admission conditional upon receipt of a final official transcript).

I can give OISE an original transcript – is that okay?

Original transcripts are not equivalent to official transcripts, and cannot be considered official unless received by the Office of the Registrar and Student Services in a sealed envelope, signed/stamped by the issuing institution. Keep in mind all documents submitted (online and paper) in support of your application become and remain the property of the University of Toronto and are not returnable or transferable. Don’t submit the sole original document; if necessary submit a copy accompanied by a letter of explanation from you. Your situation will be reviewed.

What are some writing guidelines for completing the Statement of Intent?

The Statement of Intent is a two-page PDF document (single-spaced, Times New Roman font size 12 pt, ¾" margin) in which you answer the following questions: Why have you chosen to apply to the Master of Teaching program? Describe significant teaching and/or teaching-related experiences (up to a maximum of three experiences) you have had with one or more learners . With reference to these experiences, please identify insights gained about teaching and learning and explain how these insights might contribute to the education of students in today's schools. Describe a challenging situation you had with a learner or group of learners during one of the experiences mentioned in question 2. What did you learn about teaching and learning from this specific interaction? What specific action(s) will you take to apply this learning to the education of students in today’s schools? Describe an area of educational research that you’d like to investigate during your Master of Teaching program. Why are you interested in this area? What questions would you like to pursue? The applicant is free to determine how much detail to include in order to answer the Statement of Intent questions to their satisfaction, within the parameters listed in the ‘How to Apply’ page of the MT website (https://www.oise.utoronto.ca/mt/How_To_Apply.html). The MT Program leaves it up to the applicant to choose their own area of education research, based on their current interest in the field, including areas that they may have some familiarity with, but wish to pursue further. The applicant is welcome to demonstrate how their proposed educational research aligns with that particular concentration, if they believe that it’s an important aspect of explaining why they’re interested in that area of educational research. The OISE Office of the Registrar and Student Services (ORSS) provides applicants with a web site, called Graduate Admissions, that provides step-by-step information on the application process, including information on specific portions of the application, entitled “Application Step 4: Apply via online admissions application" which addresses the Proposed Area of Study section of the application.

What if it's really difficult for me to get an academic (or professional) letter of reference?

While a minimum of two letters of reference – one academic and one professional – should be included in your application, sometimes applicants experience difficulty obtaining a letter of reference. If you graduated more than 3 years ago, the program will accept a second professional reference letter in its place (in this case you should direct the most suitable referee to include some comments pertaining to your intellectual abilities and potential).

You're strongly encouraged to obtain one academic and one professional letter of reference, but you may submit an alternative combination such as two reference letters from a professional source.

Tip: for two professional letters direct the most suitable referee to include comments pertaining to your intellectual abilities and potential.

A referee I want doesn't have an institutional or organizational e-mail address – what should I do? 

A valid institutional/organizational e-mail address is necessary for a referee to upload their letter in the online admissions application. E-mail addresses that are shared, generic or not linked to an institution, organization or business are not acceptable (e.g., Gmail, Hotmail, and Yahoo Mail).

If absolutely no alternative option is possible (including selecting a different referee), you may ask your referee to provide a paper letter of reference. There is no specific form, but the letter should be written on original professional letterhead and include the referee's signature.

Please make arrangements for the referee to give you the letter in a sealed envelope with their signature across the seal, and submit it to the Office of the Registrar and Student Services. The referee e-mail address field can be left blank in the online admissions application.

For all referees, be sure to enter a telephone number where they can be reliably reached. We may contact them for verification purposes

When will I hear back about my application? 

Notification of results for MT Admissions will continue to be sent out on an ongoing basis starting in March. Due to the large volume of applications, your application may not have been processed yet. It is also not possible for the MT Program to guarantee a specific date on which an applicant will receive their result.

If you have not received a communication, then the Office of the Registrar has not processed it yet and you will hear shortly. As soon as it has been processed, you will receive an email at which time you will be able to access the information when you login at https://apply.sgs.utoronto.ca. You will find your Decision Documents within the status column.

I am on the waitlist. When will I hear?  Can you let me know where I am on the waitlist? 

As per the Notification of Waitlist Status letter that you received, we received a large number of applications from well-qualified candidates, but only a limited number of spaces were available in each concentration and/or subject area. Your name has been placed on a waitlist. 

While it is not possible to enter into discussion or correspondence about your position on the waitlist, we will make every effort to contact you as soon as possible should a space become available. Often, spots become available throughout the summer and sometimes into August. It is not uncommon to receive an offer of admission at that time.

Further in-depth feedback cannot be provided as deliberations of an Admissions Committee are confidential.

I was refused admission – can I appeal? 

No. The official results pertaining to an application are final. Per School of Graduate Studies' policy, decisions related to admission to an academic program, including admission to a doctoral program for current master's students, are not subject to appeal.

If you receive a Notification of Refusal and you want to be re-considered, you must re-apply in competition with all other applicants for admission to a future year.

I received a Refusal Notification. Can you tell me why?

Our admission process is competitive, and in a pool of applications some do not rank high enough to be awarded an admission space. We receive many more qualified applications than we have available spaces. Unfortunately, many applicants are disappointed. Other applications rank higher for a variety of reasons: academic preparation, letters of reference, statement of intent, résumé or professional experience and development. It's important to understand meeting the admission prerequisites does not guarantee admission; all admission decisions are made on a case-by-case basis. Be assured significant care is taken in the evaluation of an application, both in the Office of the Registrar and Student Services and at the department level. Staff and faculty work diligently to ensure admission criteria are applied consistently and fairly. Your application was carefully and thoroughly reviewed by the Master of Teaching Admissions Committee. All aspects of a file are considered --- academic preparation, letters of reference, statement of intent, résumé, and experience chart. If you applied to another OISE program, a separate result letter will be provided for each one. This decision is program-specific and independent; a refusal in one program does not negatively impact the outcome of another application. As stated in our published application information, the official results pertaining to an application for admission are final and are not subject to appeal. In-depth feedback cannot be provided because deliberations of an Admissions Committee are confidential.

International Students

Do you accept international students? 

We welcome applications from outside Canada. International students will graduate with a Master of Teaching Degree and will be recommended to the Ontario College of Teachers to receive a Certificate of Qualification for Teaching in Ontario. Please review the Information for International Applicants web page.

Do I need to provide proof of English proficiency?

Because English is the primary language of instruction and communication at the University of Toronto, applicants must demonstrate an adequate level of proficiency in English, regardless of citizenship status or country of origin. It is important that applicants follow U of T School of Graduate Studies policies on English language testing requirements and take one of the required tests for admission to a graduate program.

Important information about our English language proficiency requirement is available: (https://www.oise.utoronto.ca/orss/Admissions/Step_2_Review_admission_requirements.html).

Sometimes determining whether the requirement is applicable or not can be complicated. The Office of the Registrar and Student Services cannot provide a specific determination prior to submission of an application for admission.

Applicants from universities outside Canada where English is not the primary language of instruction must provide results of an English language proficiency examination (ideally) as part of their application. To be valid, a test must have been taken within the last 24 months at the time of submission of your application.

On the other hand, if your appropriate admitting degree (i.e. if you are applying for a master's degree, your admitting degree is an appropriate bachelor's; if you are applying for a doctoral degree, your admitting degree is an appropriate master's) was completed at an institution where the official language of instruction and examination is English, you do not need to submit proof of English language proficiency but you may need to submit an official letter from your institution confirming this information.

You can apply for admission without satisfactory evidence of English language proficiency and fulfill the requirement later. The review of your application is not negatively affected if English language proficiency test scores are pending. For example, if you apply in this manner and a program is interested in offering admission, we will send you an official letter requesting “Evidence of English Language Proficiency”. If you were to satisfy the requirement in a timely fashion, you would receive an offer of admission.

Tuition and Financial Support

What is the tuition for the Master of Teaching program? How do I pay for my tuition?

For information on cost of tuition and payment, please visit: https://www.oise.utoronto.ca/oise/Tuition_and_Financial_Support/index.html

Are there scholarship opportunities? 

Please be advised that the Program does not come with an entry scholarship. However, registered students may be eligible for certain types of funding. Each funding source will have its own eligibility requirements, application process and application deadlines. It's typical for funding sources to require applicants to apply far in advance of the time in which the funds will be distributed and to require applicants to have spent at least some time in their degree in order to be eligible to apply.

For overall information on Graduate Student funding opportunities, please consult the ORSS Tuition and Financial Support page: https://www.oise.utoronto.ca/oise/Current_Students/Graduate_Student_Funding/Scholarship_Opportunities/

Are there research (graduate assistantship, research assistantship) and other employment opportunities available? 

There are GA/RA-ships designated specifically for students registered in OISE degrees that receive guaranteed funding (for limited periods of time), like OISE's full-time, non-professional, PhD degrees and Master of Arts (MA) degrees.

There are other GA/RA-ships available to students registered in OISE degrees that do not receive guaranteed funding, like the Master of Teaching (MT) Program and students in non-thesis-track degrees like the Curriculum Studies and Teacher Development Master of Education (MEd) in CTL. Such GA-ships are available to continuing registered students, in limited quantities, during the summer.

Detailed information about GA/RAs, and which ones are available to which group, and when, is available through the web site of the OISE Office of the Registrar and Student Services (ORSS) -


Other options for part-time student work are available: https://cln.utoronto.ca/home.htm

How do I access Ontario Student Assistance Program (OSAP)? 

Please be advised that the offices of the MT Program are not associated with the OSAP application or distribution process and do not contact OSAP on behalf of students. 

Students will need to contact them directly for answers to your inquiries: https://www.ontario.ca/page/osap-ontario-student-assistance-program

Another potential source of information is the Financial Aid web site of the University of Toronto - http://www.future.utoronto.ca/finances/financial-aid/osap-and-other-government-aid and their FAQ page - 


We hope this list of questions and answers is helpful! If you have other questions, please contact us at mtinfo@utoronto.ca.