Jump to Main Content
Decrease font size Reset font size Increase font size

MT Research Frequently Asked Questions  


Q. What will the research component of the MT program look like?

A: You do not require any previous experience with research when you begin the MT program. In the first year, you’ll take an introductory “research literacy” course. In the second year, you will build on this knowledge and conduct small-scale research study of your own. Here is a brief description of each course: 

1. Year 1: CTL7006 Educational Research 1
– Research Literacy.
This course fosters MT candidates’ research literacy and deepens their understanding of the role that research plays in the field of education. Candidates develop understanding of how to access, interpret, synthesize, and evaluate research literature, as well as what it means to enact research-informed practice. Candidates also deepen their understanding of how their own positionalities and experiences affect their identities and practices as teacher-researchers. In this course, candidates review the research literature in an area of education that interests them, and write a 15-20 research paper. 

2. Year 2: CTL7015 Educational Research 2
– Research Methods Lab.
In this course, candidates conduct a small scale qualitative research study using either semi-structured interviews or document analysis. This course gives special attention to research design, data collection, data analysis, and knowledge mobilization. Candidates produce a 15-20 page research paper that outlines their research studies and findings, and they present their research at the annual end-of-year MT Research Conference.

Q. Can I do quantitative research as an MT student?

A: The research study that you design and carry out in the second year of your program will be a qualitative study. You will nevertheless have the opportunity to learn about quantitative research in your first year research course. There may be opportunities to take more quantitative-oriented graduate elective courses or to apply for research opportunities with OISE faculty who do quantitative work. The availability of these opportunities varies from year to year (see below).

Q. Should I begin investigating a research field of interest over the summer, prior to the start of the program?

A: We suggest that you give some thought to topics in the field of education that interest you and generate some sample questions that you might like to purse. However, there is no need to do anything beyond that. In the CTL7006 Educational Research 1 course, we’ll teach you how to access the University of Toronto’s extensive electronic library containing thousands of journals and other research resources. At that point, you will begin a review of the literature in your topic of interest.

Q. What makes the MT program different from other Masters programs at OISE?

A: There are many different Masters degree programs offered across OISE, including some that are more coursework-based and some that are more traditional, including a formal Thesis. However, only the Master of Arts in Child Study and the Master of Teaching qualify graduates to teach in Ontario schools. It is worth noting that the MA in Child Study only offers an elementary qualification, whereas MT offers PJ, JI and IS qualifications.

Q. Will I write a thesis?

A: There are many different names given to major papers or projects completed within graduate programs, including dissertations, theses, and Major Research Papers. Thesis is a shorthand term often used to refer collectively to these different projects. The two research papers that you will write in the MT program do not formally constitute Theses in the language used by the School of Graduate Studies at the University of Toronto.

Q. What are the opportunities for doctoral studies, once I complete the MT program?

A: Each year, a number of Master of Teaching graduates decide to extend their studies and apply for doctoral studies. We’ve established a dedicated FAQ about this topic for interested students.

Q. Does a MT degree make me eligible to apply to ALL education-related doctoral programs?

A: Having a Master’s degree (of ANY kind) doesn’t mean you will be eligible to apply to all education Ph.D. and Ed.D. programs. You’ll only be eligible to apply to some. Many Ph.D. and Ed.D. programs require a Master’s degree in a particular field. Carefully read the admissions requirements of each program that interests you. In some cases, you may not have the necessary qualifications to apply. For example, OISE’s APHD department currently offers a “Doctor of Philosophy in Developmental Psychology & Education”.

They require: An appropriate honours bachelor’s degree (4-year) and Master’s degree in Psychology or equivalent with standing equivalent to a University of Toronto A- or better in the Master’s degree Most M.A., M.Ed and MT graduates will not be eligible to apply to this doctoral program. An MT degree would not be considered a “Master’s degree in Psychology or equivalent”. Neither would a MA degree in (say) Higher Education, or a M.Ed. degree in (say) Social Justice Education. Having a MA, M.Ed., or MT degree does not mean you are automatically qualified to apply for any doctoral level program in education. You’ll only be qualified to apply to some. For more information see FAQ Doctoral Studies.

Q. What are some of the research opportunities available in the MT program?

A: Students who are interested in participating in faculty research have the opportunity to apply to the MT Research Pathways Initiative. These pathways connect interested students with some of the research teams in the Department of Curriculum, Teaching, and Learning. There are also opportunities to attend and present in educational research conferences, become a member of various OISE communities and committees, attend special research events and seminars that are hosted in the building.

Q. Can I hold SSHRC or OGS grants while I am an MT student?

A: Yes. MT students have successfully applied for and been awarded both SSRHC Masters and OGS Masters grants while registered in the MT Program. MT students usually apply for these grants in the late fall of Year 1 and, if successful, hold their award in Year 2. However, MT students can apply for SSHRC and OGS Masters grants a year in advance of beginning the program in order to fund their studies in Year 1.