Decrease font size Reset font size Increase font size

Accessibilty Services and
Academic Accommodations

Supporting OISE students for personal and academic success

The Registrar's Office and Student Experience works closely with the University of Toronto's Accessibility Services to implement recommended accommodations for students with a disability.

"Accommodation" refers to any service, equipment, or special arrangement that is put in place to support students with a documented disability that affects their ability to function in an academic or practicum setting. In general, any medical condition or disorder that affects functionality in some way is considered a disability. Some examples can be found on the Accessibility Services website.

If you are an OISE student with a disability and would benefit from some form of accommodation, it's important that you register with Accessibility Services.  The Accessibility Services' Graduate and Professional Program Student Handbook is a valuable resource.

Although you may not foresee an immediate need for accommodation, your needs may change as the year progresses. We encourage you to register as early as possible to avoid delays later in the year when demand is higher.

If you experience difficulties that affect your learning and suspect you may have a disability, Accessibility Services will work with you to clarify and address any disability-related barriers to your academic success.

Once you register with Accessibility Services, you are assigned an Advisor and invited to an intake appointment to discuss and implement an accommodations plan. Depending upon your needs, you may be assigned to the OISE On Location Accessibility Advisor for Professional Faculties North (including OISE, Social Work, and Law) or to an Advisor located in the main office at 455 Spadina Avenue (Spadina and College). The On Location Advisor works from a satellite office in the Factor-Inwentash Faculty of Social Work (FIFSW) at 246 Bloor St. West.

If you have questions about the registration process, you can reach the Accessibility Services team by e-mail or telephone: or 416-978-8060.


New Students

We encourage entering students wishing to seek academic accommodations to contact OISE's Student Success Counsellor Jeananne Robertson and register with Accessibility Services as soon as they've accepted their offer of admission. 

The best time to register with Accessibility Services is during the summer months (May - August). 


Returning Students

Accommodations expire annually at the end of the Winter Session (April 30). In order to receive accommodations for the subsequent Summer, Fall and Winter Sessions, students will need to re-activate their registration with Accessibility Services.

Students who don't need to change their accomodations and have supporting documentation on file at Accessibility Services can renew their accommodations via e-mail with their Accessibility Advisor at Accessibility Services.  

Students who would like to discuss possible changes to their accommodations should contact their Accessibility Advisor.

Disability-Related Program Extensions

OISE students seeking disability-related extensions are asked to arrange an appointment with their Accessibility Advisor at Accessibility Services, or with OISE's Student Success Counsellor, Jeananne Robertson

Graduate students who are registered with Accessibility Services may, at recommendation of their Accessibility Advisor, request additional extension(s) as an accommodation if additional time is required for degree completion. 

Students are required to complete a work plan and obtain the support/approval of their disability counsellor, their supervisor, and their graduate coordinator. Students must also be in good standing, making satisfactory progress toward their degree requirements. Annual supervisory committee reports may be requested by the School of Graduate Studies.

Click here to access the Disability-Related Extensions Form.

Requesting Consideration for Illness or Injury

The University of Toronto's Verification of Student Illness or Injury Form must be completed by all students requesting special consideration based on illness or injury. 

OISE students should arrange an appointment with OISE's Student Success Counsellor, Jeananne Robertsonto submit the form and discuss their needs.

Students may access the form online or pick one up from the Office of the Registrar and Student Services. 


Resources for instructors



Jeananne Robertson, Student Success Counsellor

Student Success Advisors