Decrease font size Reset font size Increase font size

Information for international applicants

OISE welcomes applications from international applicants educated and located around the world.

On this page, we highlight four key admission topics: academic requirements and degree equivalency, transcripts, English language proficiency, and financial considerations.

Academic requirements and degree equivalency

The School of Graduate Studies establishes the minimum academic requirements for admission. Some programs have additional requirements, such as higher academic standing. These are detailed in the School of Graduate Studies Calendar by graduate unit: 

Graduates of recognized academic institutions outside Canada should hold an appropriate bachelor's or master's degree or its equivalent as assessed by the University of Toronto. Use the International Credentials Equivalencies tool to see which international credentials are required for admission.


For Fall 2021 only online transcripts are required at the time of application, however if an offer of admission is made you are required to submit an official transcript. Occasionally, international applicants experience difficulty obtaining official transcripts. If an easier pathway for you is World Education Services (WES), we will accept an academic record from WES provided it:

  • is the International Credential Advantage Package (ICAP) (so it includes a copy of the academic record received directly from the educational institution and verified by WES);
  • if written in a language other than English or French, includes a certified English language translation completed by an accredited Translation Service (not WES).


To be official, your academic record from WES must be sent one of two ways:

  • Electronic:  You can add OISE as a recipient at the time WES assesses your documents or, if WES has already assessed your documents you can order an extra copy and add OISE as a recipient. 

    To add OISE you must:
    1. Search for the University of Toronto 
    2. Click on the University of Toronto, and then from the from the School/Division drop down menu choose “OISE, Office of the Registrar and Student Services” 
  •  Paper: To be considered official, a paper copy of the ICAP must be received by the Office of the Registrar and Student Services in a sealed envelope, signed/stamped by WES.

English language proficiency

As English is the primary language of instruction and communication at the University of Toronto, applicants must demonstrate an adequate level of proficiency in English, regardless of citizenship status or country of origin. 

It is important that applicants follow the School of Graduate Studies’ policies on English language proficiency and testing requirements. We require minimum scores for all tests and Academic Division Social Sciences for TOEFL.

Financial considerations

International applicants often consider the financial implications of being an OISE student. Living in Toronto is one benefit of being an OISE student as Toronto is considered one of the safest and most diverse cities in North America. 

International PhD degree students pay the domestic tuition fee, while non-PhD degree international students pay the international student tuition fee. Having access to good health care is important, so international students pay for the University Health Insurance Plan (UHIP). Some international students also consider working in Canada during their studies.

To get a better sense of how to budget as an international student and what it might cost to study in Toronto, you can use the financial planning calculator tool. 

Frequently asked questions

Is online learning or distance education available at OISE?

What if I can’t get an official transcript?

I can give OISE an original transcript – is that okay?

How do I know if I require a TOEFL score?

If I need to provide proof of English language proficiency will I get an offer of admission?