Decrease font size Reset font size Increase font size

Course Enrolment

There may be changes to the schedule below.  As public health advice and regulations are updated, we must remain fluid and changes to the schedule may be required.  Check for changes regularly. Check our COVID-19 Related Updates page for the most up to date planning information.  


The majority of OISE SUMMER 2022 (May-June and July-August) courses will be offered online.  Please see the Summer 2022 Program Update on our Covid-Related Updates page for more information.


Summer 2022 course schedules/timetables available and posted in Course Information/Schedules below on Wednesday March 16, 2022. Course selection/enrolment begins Wednesday March 23, 2021 at 6:00 AM (EST) via ACORN.

 Fall/Winter 2022/2023 schedule/timetable posted  Wednesday July 6, 2022Course selection/enrolment begins Wednesday July 13, 2022 at 6:00 AM (EST) via ACORN.


  • Students are responsible to adhere to enrolment deadlines, such as those for adding and dropping courses.
  • Newly admitted students cannot start in the summer, they only begin their program in the Fall/Winter session.
  • Master of Teaching Program courses are automatically added based on division, cohort and teaching subjects. MT Students do not select or enrol in any courses for year 1, and select only electives in year 2.  The MT program provides schedules and details.
  • OISE does not allow Auditing of Courses per 6.2.8  (Auditing a Graduate Course)  
  • All masters students: Avoid the shock of a large bill at graduation; learn about your minimum degree fee, and what part-time status, summer courses, program transfers and fast tracking can mean.

Course Information/Schedules

Required courses

  • Before adding courses, review your program in the SGS Calendar to determine which courses are needed to meet your academic requirements.
  • Some departments have program guidelines available to guide your progression.
  • Master of Teaching Program courses are automatically added based on division, cohort and teaching subjects. MT Students do not select or enrol in any courses for year 1, and select only electives in year 2.  The MT program provides schedules and details.


Course descriptions 


Course timetables

Enroling in courses

During the enrolment period, students are able to enrol in most OISE-offered courses via ACORN, the University of Toronto's web-based student information service tool.

Information on how to add/drop courses, waitlist and enrolment cart funcionality and even helpful videos check:

If you are a new student at U of T, you must enable your JOINid and have a valid UTORid and password to access ACORN. The T-card office has created an online process to facilitate activating your UTORid. Visit their site for details:

There are exceptions where you can't use ACORN to add courses:

  • Adding a course after the ACORN enrolment period: After the deadline, you must use the Add/Drop Course Form to enrol in a course. The form must be approved and signed by the course instructor. 
  • Courses from other faculties or departments outside OISE: These courses require several levels of approval.  Students are required to complete and submit a SGS Add/Drop Course Form to the Host Department Registrar's Office.
  • Individual Reading and Research Courses: Complete, obtain the required signatures and submit the Individual Reading and Research Course Form  to the Office of the Registrar and Student Experience (ROSE) by the deadline dates listed on the form.
  • Courses that require instructor approval: These courses can be dropped – but not added – via ACORN. Submit a completed Add/Drop Course Form, instructor's written approval must be received or the course will be dropped from your record.
  • Compressed/modular courses: Courses which have variations in timing have add and drop dates that can differ from the sessional dates, and are set on a course by course basis.  

For these courses the add/drop dates are individual and based on the following SGS principles: 

Add date: no more than 15% of the course has been completed. 
Drop date: no more than 50% of the course has been completed. 

 e.g., for a 2-week (10 day) compressed course, the add date should be no later than the second day of classes and the drop deadline should be no later than the end of the first week.  If you cannot use ACORN to drop a compressed course, submit a course drop form.

Dropping courses may have implications for your progress in the program.



Maximum course load

Maximum course load is dependent on Registration Status (Full-Time or Part-Time).  Status change restrictions are  found under the Continuous registration and Status Change Restrictions tab on the Registration page.  Changes to Registration Status can only be made by the Regiistrar's Office upon Student Request, dependent on the restrictions, course add/drop deadlines and if allowed by individual programs. 
If you drop a course, your status will not auromatically change to part-time ( lower tuition )

Status changes can result in an increased Balance of Degree fee owing at the end of the program.

Full-time students may take:

  • a maximum of 6 half-courses, normally 3 in each of the Fall and Winter sessions
  • a maximum of the equivalent of 2 half-courses in each term of the Summer session

Part-time students may take:

  • a maximum of 1 half-course in each of the Fall and Winter sessions
  • a maximum of 1 half-course in the summer session (i.e., one in the May/June term OR one in the July/August term

Master of Teaching students:

  • New year 1 students do not enrol in any courses, your courses will be loaded for you based on your cohort and teaching division
  • Combined Degree students enrol in 1 course in the Fall and 1 course in the Winter sessions.
  • Year 2 students enrol in 1 course in the Fall and 1 course in the Winter sessions, all your other courses will be added for you.


Note: Waitlisted courses are included in your maximum course load

Dropping courses or Coursework Extensions

Courses are dropped using ACORN or via a Course add or drop form which can be found on the Student Forms Page 

Student's must adhere to deadlines for adding and dropping courses. If the drop deadline isn't met, the course may permanently remain on your record with the earned grade.

If you miss the ACORN drop deadline and have compelling extenuating circumstances, complete the SGS Add/Drop Course Form and submit it along with rationale and supporting documentation (medical) to your department.  If supported, your department will sign and include a letter of support for review by SGS.

Compressed/modular courses
Courses offered on a non-standard schedule have drop dates that can differ from the standard sessional dates, and are set on a course by course basis. SGS guideline: in order to drop a course without academic penalty, no more than 50% of the course can have been completed. 

Withdrawing from a session 

Withdrawing from a course does not automatically withdraw you from the session. Nor does it automatically change your status (Full-time to Part-time)

To withdraw from a session ( if permitted by your program) or request a status chage, you must email your Registration Specialist ; the refund schedule applies to the date requests are recieved. 


Coursework Extensions

Students are expected to meet the course deadlines, both of the School of Graduate Studies and of OISE, and are advised to plan accordingly. Students who find themselves unable to meet SGS deadlines for completing coursework can, under certain conditions, receive extensions for completing the work after the date set by SGS. The completed coursework extension request form must be submitted before the grade submission deadline.  Please note that students must be registered in the session in which they are completing coursework extensions.
If students go on a leave of absence, the coursework is then usually submitted in the session in which they return from their leave.

Once the form is approved and processd a SDF (Standing Deferred) is assigned to the course on ACORN.  Upon completion of the outstanding work by the new deadline, the SDF is replaced by a final grade,

The Extension to Complete Coursework form Course Extension (SDF) (PDF) can be found on



Waiting lists

Some courses have waiting lists. If the department offering the course has opted to allow a waitlist and either your enrolment category in the course or the course itself is full you can choose to join a waiting list.

ACORN will inform you of your place on the waitlist for your catagory ( not neccessarily on the whole waitlist), and how many spaces are allotted for that course.

Some courses have multiple waitlists due to multiple enrolment categories ( x spaces for this group of students and y spaces for this group of students),  You would only see where you are on your waitlist.

If space becomes available in your category and you are next on the list, you'll be automatically enrolled and a notification will be sent to your U of T email address.

If you are on the waitlist for a course in one student category, and you change to a different category (e.g., if you transfer from one program to another), this can positively or negatively change your ranking on the waitlist.

Being on the waiting list does not guarantee you a space in the course. Waitlisted courses do count towards your maximum course load.

There are no fees associated with being on the waiting list for a course. Graduate program fees are based on program status: full/time or part/time. 

Several days before the deadline to enrol in courses for each session, waitlists are cancelled. You'll have a few days to add another course via ACORN.  After the ACORN deadline, complete the appropriate Course Add/Drop Form which will be routed to the appropriate person for approval and then to ROSE for processing. The form must be approved by the course instructor or coordinator as indicated on the course timetable/schedule.

Transfer credit and course exemptions

Transfer Credit

If you have taken graduate courses at another university, you may request to receive up to 1.0 full-course equivalent (FCE) or 25% of the course requirements – whichever is greater. A transfer credit may be granted for graduate work completed in another program, provided that the course has not been credited towards another degree, diploma, certificate, or any other qualification.

Students participating in an approved exchange program may also receive transfer credit for up to 50% of the course requirements for their degree. Transfer credit arrangements must be recommended by the Registrar's Office and approved in advance by the School of Graduate Studies.

There is no financial credit awarded for a transfer credit. In other words, a student transferring a credit from any other institution or U of T program is still required to pay the minimum total program fee.

Course exemptions

With the approval of the home graduate unit and the School of Graduate Studies, a student may be exempt from a specific course requirement permitting the substitution of another course to meet degree requirements. However, overall course credit requirements for your degree will not be reduced.

Make a transfer credit or exemption request

Complete the Transfer Credit and/or Course Exemption Form and submit it to your department for approval and signature before it is sent to your Registration Specialist along with the final transcript showing the results of the course.


Refunds are based on the date of withdrawal from the session not withdrawal from a course.  The refund schedule is posted to the Student Accounts website.

The date of receipt of written notification of withdrawal from the session is the date used in determining fee charges for the session/year (if any).

Please note that the last day to cancel a course or registration with no academic penalty is not the same as the last day to be eligible for a refund.

U of T Graduate programs charge a program fee, not a course fee.Fees are charged either full-time or part-time. Dropping courses without notifying the ORSS to cancel your registration or chang your registration status (full-time, part-time) will not result in any refund.