Decrease font size Reset font size Increase font size

Social Insurance Number Clinic for International Students

Presented by Services Canada


When: Wednesday, September 13, 2017, 10am-3pm, and  Friday, October 13, 2017, 10am-12pm. 

Where: Room 101 (Baldwin Room), 33 St. George Street, Centre for International Experience, University of Toronto

Services Canada will be on campus to process Social Insurance Number (SIN) applications for students holding Canadian study permits. A SIN is required to work in Canada or to get benefits and services from government programs.

Students interested in attending should register for an appointment with the Centre for International Experience and prepare for the appointment. 

Preparing for the appointment 

To apply for a SIN to work on campus, your study permit must have these conditions printed on it:

  • May accept employment on the campus of the institution at which registered in full-time studies
  • May accept employment on or off campus if meeting eligibility criteria as per R186(f), (v) or (w). Must cease working if no longer meeting these criteria

If your study permit doesn’t have these conditions, but you meet the criteria, you can apply to Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) to amend the conditions on the study permit so you can apply for a SIN. There is no fee to add these conditions. 

What to bring for SIN Clinic

To apply for a Social Insurance Number (SIN), to request a confirmation of your SIN or to amend your SIN record, you must provide a valid primary document that proves your identity and legal status in Canada. Please bring the following to the SIN Clinic:

  • primary document; and 
  • passport / government photo identification. 

Primary documents

A primary document is an official document that proves your identity and status in Canada.

  • You must provide original documents; photocopies are not accepted.
  • All documents must be written in English or French or be accompanied by an official translation attested to by the translator before a notary public, or prepared by an officer of a foreign government or an official of a British or Canadian consulate.

Temporary residents must provide an original of one of the following:

  • Work permit issued by Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC).
  • Study permit issued by IRCC, indicating that you are authorized to work in Canada:
    • a study permit that indicates the permit holder “may accept employment” or “may work” in Canada; or
    • a study permit and a “confirmation to work off campus” letter issued by IRCC prior to February 11, 2015.

If neither of these requirements is met, you must contact IRCC to verify if you are eligible to apply for an amended study permit.