Jump to Main Content
Decrease font size Reset font size Increase font size
Ontario Institute for Studies in Education, University of Toronto Home| OISE| U of T| Quercus| Site Map | Contact Us | Accessibility | Feeling Distressed?
INSPIRING EDUCATION | oise.utoronto.ca
Registrar's Office

Registrar's Office > Teacher Education > FAQs

Teacher Education at OISE: Frequently Asked Questions


How do I become a teacher at OISE?
OISE offers two distinctive graduate-level teacher education programs. Our programs provide the unique opportunity to earn a graduate degree AND to be eligible for teaching certification in Ontario:

  1. The Master of Teaching is one of our premier graduate level teacher education programs. Our students register in full-time studies that lead to a Master of Teaching (MT) degree. Upon successful completion of the program, students will be recommended to the Ontario College of Teachers for an Ontario Teacher’s Certificate of Qualification which certifies them to teach in Ontario schools.

    Students can choose from three program specializations:
    - Primary/Junior (Kindergarten to grade 6)
    - Junior/Intermediate (grades 4 – 10)
    - Intermediate/Senior (grades 7 – 12)

    Explore the Master of Teaching.
  2. The Master of Arts in Child Study and Education offers a unique, research and inquiry-based teacher education program, engaging students in the science of learning and teaching. Eligible graduates are recommended to the Ontario College of Teachers for a Certificate of Qualification, which qualifies the holder to teach in the primary and junior divisions of Ontario schools.

    Explore the MA in Child Study and Education.


Can I become a Technological Education teacher at OISE?
No.  Admission to the Technological Education program has ceased. 


I have questions about admission requirements and applying. Where can I find answers online?
Graduate Studies Admissions provides key information about admission requirements and application steps.

The FAQs on their website offers many responses to common questions like:
How do I know if I’m admissible?
What do you mean by an "appropriate" degree?
What is academic upgrading?
My previous program is ungraded – what should I do?
MORE FAQs (Graduate Admissions FAQs)...

How do I apply for the Master of Teaching or the MA in Child Study and Education?
Applications for our graduate-level teacher education programs are NOT available through the OUAC/TEAS online application. Our graduate programs are under the umbrella of the School of Graduate Studies of the University of Toronto. This means that applicants must apply through the School of Graduate Studies online application system.

For details on applying, see Graduate Admission>Applications Steps