Larry Bencze is an Emeritus Associate Professor in the Department of Curriculum, Teaching & Learning at the Ontario Institute for Studies in Education of the University of Toronto. Larry continues to supervise doctoral students, as well as conduct collaborative action research to engage with teachers as they encourage students to learn about and take action to resolve harmful relationships among fields of science & technology and societies & environments (STSE).
Larry’s research interests are on critical and activist science and technology education via STEPWISE (science and technology education promoting wellbeing for individuals, societies, and environments) and critical analyses of STEM education and emotions in education. His work has been supported by research grants from the Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council (SSHRC), University of Toronto funding, and other sources.
- Bencze, J. L., El Halwany, S., & Zouda, M. (2020). Critical and active public engagement in addressing socioscientific problems through science teacher education. In M. Evagorou, J. Alexis Nielsen, & J. Dillon (Eds.), Science teacher education for responsible citizenship: Towards a pedagogy for relevance through socioscientific issues (pp. 63-83). Cham, Switzerland: Springer.
- Bencze, L., Pouliot, C., Pedretti, E., Simonneaux, L., Simonneaux, J., & Zeidler, D. (2020). SAQ, SSI and STSE education: Defending and extending ‘science in context’. Cultural Studies of Science Education. doi: https://doi.org/10.1007/s11422-019-09962-7
- Bencze, L., Carter, L., Groleau, A., Krstovic, M., Levinson, R., Martin, J., … & Weinstein, M. (2019). Promoting students’ critical and active engagement in socio-scientific problems: Inter-trans-national perspectives. In E. McLoughlin, O. E. Finlayson, S. Erduran & P. E. Childs (Eds.), Bridging Research and Practice in Science Education (pp. 171-188). Cham, Switzerland: Springer.
- Bencze, L., El Halwany, S., Milanovic, M., Qureshi, N., & Zouda, M. (2019). Bloqueios ao engajamento cívico crítico e ativo na/através da Ciência Escolar: Histórias do Campo. [Roadblocks to critical and active civic engagement in/through school science: Stories from the field.] Educação e Fronteiras, 9(25), 47-70.
- Milanovic, M., El Halwany, S., Krstovic, M., Mitchell, K., Padamsi, Z., Qureshi, N., Schaffer, K., Zouda, M., & Bencze, L. (2019). Science education for civic action: A ‘STEPWISE’ project resource guide for teachers. Retrieved from https://sites.google.com/view/scied4civicaction/home