Student-Focused Conference Funding Program
This program supports program-based, student-focused conferences or research events organized collaboratively by students and a faculty lead in an OISE program. This program is intended to support (but not fully fund) eligible conferences or research events pre-approved by the Department Chair as a program-related departmental activity.
OISE student-focused conferences foster communities of learning while building research competency and facilitating the mobilization of innovative research. These events also allow students to gain experience in academic event planning and administration.
Applications for up to $1,000 per event are invited on an ongoing basis.
Applications are submitted by a faculty sponsor who holds an eligible primary faculty appointment at OISE and has secured department support and funding for the event.
- Tenure stream, teaching stream or Contractually Limited Term Appointment (CLTA) faculty are eligible to apply as faculty sponsors. Sessional lecturers, seconded instructors, and contract instructors may apply in partnership with an eligible faculty member.
- Applicants can apply for funding for only one event per fiscal year (May 1 - April 30).
Funded Conferences or Research Events
- Enhance and are integrated with one or more OISE programs of study.
- Have received approval from the department Chair as a departmental activity.
- Have been allocated departmental funding in cash (not in-kind only).
- Facilitate the synthesis and/or mobilization of student-produced research.
- Connect one or more OISE programs with professional or community groups beyond OISE.
- Are organized collaboratively by students under the supervision of one or more faculty members in the associated OISE program(s).
- Are largely student-focused, with OISE students comprising at least 50% of the organizers and participants.
- Include speakers or participants external to OISE.
- Normally include a minimum of 30 participants.
Download and complete the application form. Email a completed form to email@example.com along with an email from your Department Chair confirming the department's support. If the form is not accessible, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org or 416-978-1117.
Consult with your Department Business Officer to develop a budget in line with University Policies and Guidelines on Reimbursable Expenses.
Applications must be submitted in advance of the proposed conference/event and are accepted on an ongoing basis. Please allow 15 business days for your application to be assessed.
Next Steps & Reimbursement
Student organizers work with their department communication officers to ensure the event is well advertised throughout OISE (e.g. on the department webpage, the OISE Events Calendar, and the OISE lobby sign.)
Please email the following scanned documents to your department business officer within 60 days of the conference/event:
- Receipts for eligible costs incurred up to the amount awarded within 60 days of the conference or research event.
- Completed Expense Reimbursement Form (Excel; PDF).
- The final list of participants and attendees.
Please retain original paper copies of all receipts and signatures, as internal and external auditors may require them. If the forms or instructions are not accessible, please contact email@example.com.
- Speaker Honoraria
- Technical support for online event
- Research Assistant salaries
- Travel expenses for OISE faculty or students