Master of Education Field in Language Teaching (Language & Literacies Education)
Master of Education Field in Language Teaching (Language & Literacies Education) Overview
The Master of Education Field in Language Teaching (Language & Literacies Education) is designed for novice teachers interested in beginning their careers as language teachers. Students pursuing this field will graduate with:
- a solid theoretical and intellectual grounding in LLE research;
- a course-based, practitioner focus on the fundamentals of language teaching; and
- the opportunity to gain practical experience in a language-education context through a required practicum.
This combination of theoretical, scholarly and practical experiences allows graduates to apply for teaching positions in a number of language-education contexts in Canada and elsewhere. The field in Language Teaching will be clearly noted on graduates' transcripts.
This concentration does NOT lead to certification with the Ontario College of Teachers, and it does NOT lead to TESL Ontario certification.
The Master of Education Field in Language Teaching (Language & Literacies Education) can be taken on a full-time basis only.
For detailed information about the program, please consult the School of Graduate Studies Calendar.
At a Glance
Full-time (4 sessions)
Coursework (10 half courses)
Funding and Tuition
For current information about tuition fees, funding, and financial support, visit Tuition & Financial Support.
Applications to the Master of Education Field in Language Teaching (Language & Literacies Education) for the 2024-2025 admissions cycle is open.
To view updated program deadlines, visit the OISE application deadlines and closing dates page.
Ready to join one of the world’s top universities? Take the next step in your academic journey and start your application to graduate studies at OISE.
Have questions about our program, admissions, financial support or career options after graduation? Our team has the answer you’re looking for. Contact us for one-on-one support.
We host information sessions, open houses and tours throughout the year. Come discover what it's like to study at OISE. Explore campus and meet our community.
Have a question about admissions requirements? Drop-in (online) and speak to program staff.
Every Wednesday from 12:00 p.m. to 1:00 p.m. (EST)
Why I Chose Curriculum, Teaching & Learning
Yecid Ortega (Master of Arts 2015, Doctor of Philosophy 2021)
Lecturer and Research Assistant
Language, Literacies and Comparative International and Development Education
"My journey has taken me from teaching English as a Foreign Language in Colombia to the USA where I worked as a Spanish teacher, teacher educator and curriculum developer for various schools and now to Canada – where I have found my home in research and education in teacher education programs and TESOL. At OISE, I explore issues of social justice in language teacher education and culture, race, linguistics, human rights, and gender equality around the world."
Master of Education Field in Language Teaching Admission Requirements
General Admission Requirements
Please visit the OISE Admissions website for detailed information about the application process, including general minimum admission requirements and supporting documents.
Program-Specific Information (Minimum Admission Requirements)
Minimum admission requirements for this program are:
- An appropriate honours bachelor’s degree (4-year) or equivalent with standing equivalent to a University of Toronto mid-B or better in the final year or over senior courses.
- English Language Proficiency (if required)
- Please see the SGS calendar for more details.
We encourage equity-seeking groups to identify themselves in their application.
Required Supporting Documents
All applicants must submit:
- Online Application
- Transcript(s) from each post-secondary institution attended
- Two letters of reference from two separate people (one academic and one professional)
- A résumé that provides clear and complete information about the applicant's work or field experience related to their proposed studies
- Completion of program application questions (called "Faculty Questions: CTL")
- In up to 1,000 words, describe why you wish to undertake a graduate program in Language & Literacies Education. Please tell us about your background, your work in education, and your study interests. Explain why you are interested in pursuing the field of language teaching. Include a clear description of any professional experience you may have as a language teacher, describe your goals as a language teacher, and tell us about how the Language Teaching field can support you in meeting those goals.
- Is there any additional information you want to share with the Admissions committee that will inform their review of your application?
- View FAQ for other important application notes.
Additional Admissions Information
We are looking for applicants who have a sound academic background and a deep interest in education. Our degree is designed for novice teachers interested in beginning their careers as language teachers.
Applicants should have demonstrated commitment to education prior to applying. Please note, the Master of Education program is not a teacher certification program. For more information on our teacher certification programs please visit: OISE Teacher Education Degrees.
Ready to join one of the world’s top universities?
Take the next step in your academic journey and start your application to graduate studies at OISE.