Doctoral Completion Award (DCA)
The Doctoral Completion Award (DCA) aims to provide financial assistance support to full-time PhD students who are beyond the funded cohort and within the time limit for their degree. The DCA may be competitive.
Students who have experienced a delay in their program due to unfortunate personal circumstances should refer to the OISE Bursary Program.
The information on this webpage is for the 2023-2024 academic year and will be updated for 2024-2025 in the winter of 2024.
Completion Award Value
Each graduate unit determines the DCA value, which may differ for every award holder. Students must be registered to receive award payments and will not receive any payments once degree requirements are completed. A student who withdraws mid-session is expected to return any award funds received in that session. The award is applied to tuition/outstanding fees first.
Award Eligibility Requirements (Minimum)
For each session the award is held, recipients of the DCA must be:
- Registered as a full-time PhD student (EdD and Flexible-time PhD students are ineligible).
- Beyond the funded cohort: You are entering Year 5 or 6 during the 2023-2024 academic year.
- Within the time limit for the degree. The average time limit is six years. Students who are on approved program extensions are ineligible. Learn more about time limits in Graduate Studies.
- In good academic standing (i.e. achieved candidacy) and making satisfactory progress toward completing their degree requirements. Students with an approved extension to achieve candidacy are ineligible for DCA awards. Students must comply with the general regulations for the School of Graduate Studies (SGS) and the degree regulations for their program and make satisfactory progress toward completing their degree to be in good academic standing. Learn more about educational requirements in Graduate Studies.
Please Note: Students who will defend, before or on the September 2023 deadline, PhD final oral examinations to graduate at Fall convocation are ineligible. The date is subject to change for each term.
Application Procedure (All Departments)
The following items should be included in your application and submitted using your departmental submission form. Please have all components of the DCA application package ready to upload before proceeding to Step 7.
Submission Deadline: The DCA application submission deadline for 2023-2024 school year is June 1, 2023.
1. Applicant Form
2. Supervisor Form
3. Curriculum Vitae (CV)
4. ROSI/ACORN Unofficial Transcript
No official transcript is required.
5. Additional Supporting Documents
Supporting documents are department-specific.
- Applied Psychology & Human Development
- Copy of your most recent Annual Review Form.
- Leadership, Higher & Adult Education
- Copy of your most recent Doctoral Progress Form.
7. Doctoral Completion Award Submission
Gather all required documents from steps one through six of the DCA Application Procedure (All Departments), and submit the content using your respective departments' DCA Submission Form by June 1, 2023; uTORID and password are required. Note: Late applications will not be accepted.
Application Evaluation Criteria
Please ensure all components of the DCA application package are ready for upload before proceeding. Detailed information about the DCA application package for each OISE department is included.