Welcome to the Ontario Institute for Studies in Education

Part of what makes the Ontario Institute for Studies in Education (OISE) such a vibrant, academic community, is the rich diversity of its students. Here, we truly welcome the world and the unique perspective each student brings, which enriches the learning environment for everyone.

Visas & Study Permits

As an international student, you will need valid immigration documents to live and study in Canada. A student who is neither a Canadian Citizen nor a Permanent Resident must obtain a visa and study permit from a Canadian Embassy, Consulate or High Commission outside Canada. 

Once you receive an offer of admission, you will need to obtain a valid Student Authorization from Citizenship and Immigration Canada in order to study in Canada. In some cases, a Temporary Residents Visa is required before entering Canada.

International students who are applying through what is known as the Student Direct Stream (SDS) are required to pay tuition fees as part of the student visa application process.  Since the Fall-Winter session fees/invoices do not become available until mid-July, international students who need to pay earlier can e-mail the Student Accounts Office at info.studentaccount@utoronto.ca to request an estimate of the fees payable (based on the previous year’s fees). The fee payment can be held until tuition fees for the session are billed, and a receipt can be issued to the student to use as proof of tuition fee payment.

A student should not leave for Canada until:

  • A confirmation of acceptance of admission to the University of Toronto is received, and;
  • They hold a valid entry visa and student authorization (study permit).

International students should contact their nearest Canadian Embassy, High Commission, or Consulate as soon as they receive an offer of admission.

You can also visit the University of Toronto Centre for International Experience for information on obtaining a study permit.

If your immigration status changes during your studies, your fees owing may change.  Be sure to notify the Registrar's Office & Student Experience (ROSE) promptly as the change of status is not retroactive to any previous session.

Health & Families

Health & Medical Insurance

The University Health Insurance Plan (UHIP) is a mandatory health insurance plan for all international and exchange students and their qualifying dependents. UHIP helps to cover the cost of hospital and medical services needed to maintain your health while in Canada.

As a student, you are automatically enrolled in UHIP, and the coverage charge will be listed on your student invoice. However, you must arrange for dependent coverage directly with the UHIP office. Dependents must enrol in UHIP within 30 days of their arrival date in Canada, or a late fee will be applied.

For more information about getting your UHIP card, a summary of coverage, and how to enrol dependents, visit the Centre for International Experience

International Student Families

The University of Toronto has great centres dedicated to advising international student families:

  • The Family Care Office offers information regarding pregnancy support in Ontario, childcare possibilities, public school enrolment, university health coverage, and on and off-campus housing.
  • The Centre for International Experience (St. George Campus) is a hub for international students, ensuring you have a smooth transition to U of T and have the resources you need to succeed.