Applying for scholarships is a condition of your funding package. Students who do not apply for external awards will not be eligible for funding in the following year, in keeping with the terms and conditions for funding. The process of writing such an application prepares you for future grant writing. Receiving an external award is also a significant credential in the job market. If you successfully win a major external award, the award will be applied to your funding package.
Requirements to Apply to Scholarships for Students in the Funded Cohort
Master of Arts in School & Clinical Child Psychology
Year one Master of Arts (MA) in School & Clinical Child Psychology students in the funded cohort must apply for either of the following in the first year of their program:
Doctor of Philosophy Students
Year one, two and three Doctor of Philosophy (PhD) students in the funded cohort are required to apply for a major external scholarship. For instance:
Scholarship Recognition Award
Doctor of Philosophy (PhD) students who have obtained major scholarships, equal to or greater than $15,000, for all or most of their time in the graduate student-funded cohort may be eligible for a Scholarship Recognition Award for the year following the end of their funded cohort status.
The Scholarship Recognition Award will cover the value of tuition and incidental fees, plus $2,000 if the student is:
- Registered as a full-time student in the year following the end of their funded cohort status and;
- Does not have another scholarship/award equal to or greater than the value of the Scholarship Recognition Award.
To be eligible for the Scholarship Recognition Award, students must meet one of the following criteria:
- Students covered by graduate funding for the MA and PhD must hold a major scholarship for four of the five years of their funding period.
- Students covered by graduate funding for the PhD only must hold a major scholarship for three of the four years of their funding period.
- Students must be in good standing and making satisfactory progress towards their degree (i.e., achieved candidacy).
There is no application process for this award. Students who are eligible to receive the Scholarship Recognition Award will be notified by the OISE Graduate Funding Office.