Graduate Assistantships (GA) and Teaching Assistantships (TA) payroll is processed through the Human Resource Information System (HRIS) by the OISE Payroll Team with support from the OISE Graduate Funding Office. Payments are made in equal monthly installments disbursed through direct deposit to a student employee's valid Canadian bank account. Monthly payments are paid as T4 income and are subject to applicable taxes and union dues.
Students with employment contracts will be requested to provide payroll documentation. The first time a student is put on the OISE payroll, they will also need to present their SIN card or document for verification. Delays in providing payroll documentation will result in a delay in processing monthly pay to the following month, or to whenever the documentation is provided.
Your Personnel Number
Student employees are responsible for recording this number and keeping it safe for reference, as they will need it to log into a particular system.
Accessing the OISE Payroll System
All documents must be submitted to the OISE Graduate Funding Office via the OISE Hiring System. Please do not email payroll documents directly to the OISE Graduate Funding Office.
The following documents may be required. To determine what documents are required, students should log in to the Hiring System. Students who have been offered a position will have the option to submit payroll documents.
- Provincial Tax Credit Form (Ontario Personal Tax Credits Return)
- Federal Tax Credit Form (Personal Tax Credits Return)
- Payroll Bank Authorization Form for Direct Deposit
- A void cheque from a Canadian Banking Institution
- If you cannot provide a void cheque, complete and submit a Pre-Authorization Payment or Deposit Form supplied by your Canadian bank.
- Note: Students must have a valid Canadian bank account.
- Copy of your Study Permit (for International Students Only)
- To learn more about getting a study permit, Social Insurance Number (SIN), and other immigration documentation, please visit the Centre for International Experience (CIE).
- If you have a study permit and your Social Insurance Number starts with a "9", you must also provide a copy of your passport.
- Social Insurance Number (SIN) card/letter for verification*
- If you do not have or have lost your card/letter, you must apply through Service Canada and submit proof of application.
- Once you receive your card/letter, please check the drop-in hours to provide your card/letter for verification.
- Information for international students: To apply for a SIN card/letter, you will need
- A copy of your Student Authorization; and
- A letter of employment.
- You can obtain a letter of employment by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org. If your SIN and/or Visa expires during the academic year, your payments will stop until you provide the HR Office with new documentation.
- To learn more about getting a study permit, social insurance number, and other immigration documentation, please visit the International Student Centre website.
Changes to Your Payroll Information
If you are currently set up on payroll as a graduate assistant or teaching assistant and wish to change your payroll information during the academic year (i.e. change to banking information, Provincial or Federal tax forms, etc.), please access the hiring system to upload your new documents. Please send an email to email@example.com to let them know that you have uploaded a new document.
Pay Statements & Tax Documents
Payroll documentation will be available online through the University’s Employee Self-Service System (ESS). This includes electronic delivery of your pay statement, tax documentation (i.e. T4), and other occasionally available payroll documentation. You can print copies of these documents directly from ESS. Be sure to keep a record of your personnel number.