Ontario Teacher Certification (MT & MA-CSE)
To teach in Ontario's publicly funded schools, you must become a member of the Ontario College of Teachers (OCT) and receive an Ontario teaching certificate. If you have questions about the process, the OCT offers information sessions on the registration process to obtain your Ontario teaching license in December as part of the Professional Preparation Conference.
The OCT provides detailed application instructions on its website. This webpage is intended to help you navigate OISE and U of T processes in relation to your OCT application.
OCT Application Process
Note: The below is required even if you have applied for the Transitional Certificate of Qualification and Registration
Transitional Certification Process
As of August 31, 2023, the new Transitional Certificate of Qualification and Registration (TCQR) provides Teacher Candidates with the opportunity to engage in supply teaching while still pursuing their gradate teacher education program provided they meet the OCT’s eligibility requirements .
Once these eligibility requirements are met, students in the Master of Teaching and MA-CSE programs have the option of applying for a TCQR, if they wish to do so. Students apply for the TCQR via the College’s online application system. This choice is entirely voluntary, and students will not be dissuaded or compelled to apply for or engage in the TCQR. Information about the TCQR and answers to FAQs can be found on the OCT website .
Should you decide to apply for the TCQR and engage in supply teaching upon receiving it while competing your teacher education program, you should be aware of the following:
1. As the TCQR holder, you are an Ontario Certified Teacher and member of OCT and as such, you are expected to uphold and demonstrate the College’s professional and ethical standards at all times. As an OCT member, if you fail to uphold these standards, you will be subject to potential findings of professional misconduct and any resulting discipline.
2. While engaged in supply teaching with your TCQR, you are expected to fully participate in fulfilling your degree requirements including attending classes, completing coursework and practicum placements as outlined in the School of Graduate Studies (SGS) calendar entry for your program.
3. The supply teaching days gained through the TCQR may not be used as a replacement for the required supervised practicum experience outlined in our degree program requirements.
In order to process an application for a TCQR, the OCT requires that you have submitted the general application and all required documentation and fees related to the general application. You will need to submit an official transcript that documents the courses that you have completed so far in your teacher education program.
In addition, the OCT requires that OISE sends a report indicating that you have met the TCQR eligibility requirements. *
This reporting process is separate from the “Report from Faculty” that OISE sends to the OCT at the end of your program as part of the OCT’s regular certification process. To support the TCQR process, OISE's Registrar's Office & Student Experience (ROSE) has developed a separate Request to have a Faculty Report sent to OCT for the Transitional Certificate form that will allow eligible* OISE teacher educations students to authorize OISE to send the report to the OCT.
At the present time there are three submission deadlines for you to submit the form: October 25, November 22, December 20. (Additional submission deadlines will be communicated in the future.) Faculty Report will be sent to OCT within 5 business days after each deadline.
- You must apply for regular OCT certification and submit all required documentation and fees related to the general application in order to be considered for transitional certification.
- You will also need to submit an official transcript that documents the courses that you have completed so far in your teacher education program.
- You can order your official transcript on ACORN or from OUAC (via a link in the OCT general application).
- The granting of a TCQR by the OCT does not exempt you from any of the normal requirements for your teacher education program.
- You must complete all program requirements in order to graduate.
- The Request to have a Faculty Report sent to OCT for the Transitional Certificate form has been developed to support only the special process put in place by the OCT for the TCQR. Whether or not you choose to apply for the TCQR, you will still need to provide your OCT registration number in the regular manner.
- If you are a student in either the Master of Teaching program or the MA-CSE program and are experiencing issues accessing the form, please contact ROSE.
Completed Your Teaching Certification in a Previous Year?
For students who have completed their teaching certification program in a previous year and have been asked by the OCT to have a "Report from the Faculty," otherwise known as a “Letter from the Dean” sent, please email us at email@example.com, and include:
- Your 6-digit OCT application number
- Full name
- Birth date
- Program information (teaching divisions and subjects if applicable)
- Date of graduation
- Student number