Master of Education in Counselling Psychology (Guidance & Counselling Field)
Master of Education in Counselling Psychology (Guidance & Counselling Field) Overview
Supporting students through guidance and counselling
The Master of Education in Counselling Psychology, Guidance and Counselling field (MEd GC) Program is primarily for experienced teachers who wish to specialize in guidance and counselling in schools.
The field in Guidance and Counselling, within the Counselling Psychology MEd degree program, provides individuals with the opportunity to learn and develop skills appropriate for the field of guidance and counselling in the schools. Strong preference for admission to this field is given to experienced teachers who are interested in specializing in guidance and counselling in the schools. The program of study provides students with the basic preparation for certification as a Certified Canadian Counsellor (CCC) with the Canadian Counselling and Psychotherapy Association (CCPA).
The MEd program is typically offered on a full-time basis with a limited number of part-time spots available.
For detailed information about the program, please consult the School of Graduate Studies Calendar.
At a Glance
Full-time (5 sessions)
Part-time (10 sessions)
Coursework & Examination
Funding and Tuition
For current information about tuition fees, funding, and financial support, visit Tuition & Financial Support.
Applications are now open for a Fall 2024 start.
Ready to join one of the world’s top universities? Take the next step in your academic journey and start your application to graduate studies at OISE.
Have questions about our program, admissions, financial support or career options after graduation? Our team has the answer you’re looking for. Contact us for one-on-one support.
We host information sessions, open houses and tours throughout the year. Come discover what it's like to study at OISE. Explore campus and meet our community.
Why I Chose Applied Psychology & Human Development
Nivatha Moothathamby (Master of Arts 2021)
PhD student in Developmental Psychology and Education
"My journey at OISE has been filled with establishing positive and supportive relationships, learning the nuances of psychology and education, and understanding my role as a scholar and an activist. As a Tamil-Canadian, I come from a community that has faced racial injustices and intergenerational trauma. The Department of Applied Psychology and Human Development has provided me with academic resources and a community to explore and expand on these parts of my identity. Overall, OISE’s deep commitment to inclusion, diversity and equity is what drew me to apply. I found my place here."
Master of Education in Counselling Psychology Admission Requirements
General Admission Requirements
Please visit the OISE Admissions website for detailed information about the application process, including general minimum admission requirements and supporting documents.
Program-Specific Information (Minimum Admission Requirements)
- Applicants are admitted under the General Regulations of the School of Graduate Studies.
- An appropriate bachelor’s degree in any major or discipline, with a grade equivalent to a University of Toronto B+ or better in the final year, from a recognized university.
- Teacher Certification, including the completion of a BEd program at the intermediate/senior teaching level. This program is designed for experienced professionals who are interested in specializing in guidance and counselling in secondary schools.
Required Supporting Documents
All applicants must submit:
- Transcript(s) from each post-secondary institution attended
- Two letters of reference (One academic and one professional)
- A resume/curriculum vitae
- Applicants are asked to respond to the following questions:
- Could you briefly describe your family, life, community, volunteer, or professional experiences that have helped prepare you to work with diverse individuals? (350 words max)
- Describe specific counselling-related work or volunteer activities that have prepared you for this program. Please explain how these experiences have informed your interest in becoming a helping professional. (750 words max)
Additional Program Information
Ready to join one of the world’s top universities?
Take the next step in your academic journey and start your application to graduate studies at OISE.