Master of Education Field in Online Teaching and Learning (Curriculum & Pedagogy)
Master of Education Field in Online Teaching and Learning (Curriculum & Pedagogy) Overview
The Master of Education Field in Online Teaching and Learning (Curriculum & Pedagogy) program is designed for flexibility.
The Field in Online Teaching and Learning is designed for students interested in engaging with scholarly research in distance education who want to learn how to effectively instruct and design online courses. This field is committed to helping each graduate student become an impactful online instructor who designs powerful online experiences through the judicial and effective use of new technologies.
Students pursuing this field will graduate with:
- a solid theoretical and intellectual grounding in research relating to online teaching and learning;
- a course-based, practitioner focus on the design and delivery of online instructions; and
- the opportunity to develop proficiency with a wide variety of modern online technologies.
This combination of theoretical, scholarly, and practical experiences will allow graduates to apply for teaching positions and/or progress in their career in a number of online education contexts, such as online mentor, designer of online curriculum, online K-12 educator, and online workplace trainer. For those graduates already working in online contexts, the Field in Online Teaching and Learning, clearly noted on graduates' transcripts, will support their career advancement.
Curriculum & Pedagogy Program Emphases
The Curriculum & Pedagogy program offers the following six program Emphases:
- Arts in Education
- Critical Studies in Curriculum and Pedagogy
- Digital Technologies in Education
- Indigenous Education and Decolonization
- Science, Mathematics and Technology in Education
C&P students interested in a C&P Emphasis are required to take 3 courses from a list of courses affiliated with the Emphasis. Students who successfully complete Emphasis coursework as part of their C&P degree requirements may contact a department administrator to request, prior to graduation, a notation of the Emphasis on their transcript.
For detailed information about the program, please consult the School of Graduate Studies Calendar.
At a Glance
Full-time (4 sessions)
Part-time (10 sessions)
Coursework (10 half courses)
Funding and Tuition
For current information about tuition fees, funding, and financial support, visit Tuition and Financial Support.
Applications to the Master of Education Field in Online Teaching and Learning (Curriculum & Pedagogy) for the 2023-2024 admissions cycle are open.
To view updated program deadlines, visit the OISE application deadlines and closing dates page.
Ready to join one of the world’s top universities? Take the next step in your academic journey and start your application to graduate studies at OISE.
Have questions about our program, admissions, financial support or career options after graduation? Our team has the answer you’re looking for. Contact us for one-on-one support.
We host information sessions, open houses and tours throughout the year. Come discover what it's like to study at OISE. Explore campus and meet our community.
Why I Chose Curriculum, Teaching & Learning
Themis Aravossitas (Master of Arts 2010, Doctor of Philosophy 2016)
Curriculum & Pedagogy
I was admitted into the Master of Education program… an internationally educated teacher who needed to gain experience in the Canadian context. CTL's faculty, staff and fellow students gave me a sense of belonging within an inclusive and supportive academic community. I worked with and got inspired by world class scholars, and participated in the organization of conferences and symposia, book publications, grant submissions and educational collaboration involving new technologies. Through OISE and particularly CTL, I built a professional network and became confident about my studies and potential career.
Master of Education Field in Online Teaching and Learning Admission Requirements
General Admission Requirements
Please visit the OISE Admissions website for detailed information about the application process, including general minimum admission requirements and supporting documents.
Program-Specific Information (Minimum Admission Requirements)
Minimum admission requirements for this program are:
- An appropriate honours bachelor’s degree (4-year) or equivalent with standing equivalent to a University of Toronto mid-B or better in the final year or over senior courses.
- English Language Proficiency (if required)
- Please see the SGS calendar for more details.
We encourage equity-seeking groups to identify themselves in their application.
Required Supporting Documents
All applicants must submit:
- Online Application
- Transcript(s) from each post-secondary institution attended
- Two letters of reference (one academic and one professional)
- A résumé that provides clear and complete information about the applicant's work or field experience related to their proposed studies
- Completion of program application questions (ie. "Faculty Questions: CTL" below)
- In 1,000-1,500 words, describe why you wish to undertake a graduate program in Curriculum & Pedagogy. Please tell us about your background, your work in education, and your study interests.
- Based on what you shared in the previous question, list 3-5 keywords to describe your research interests.
- If you are interested in a Program Emphasis, you will be asked to indicate them
- Is there any additional information you would like to share with the Admissions Committee that will inform their review of your application?
- View FAQ for other important application notes.
Additional Admissions Information
We are looking for applicants who have a sound academic background and a deep interest in education. Our degree is designed for a wide range of educational experiences/work that includes but is not limited to teachers, health workers, community-based educators, educational activists, school board administrators, post-secondary faculty, individuals in corporate and not-for-profit industries, and people in other education-related fields.
Applicants should have demonstrated commitment to education prior to applying. Please note, the Master of Education program is not a teacher certification program. For more information on our teacher certification programs please visit: OISE Teacher Education Degrees.
Ready to join one of the world’s top universities?
Take the next step in your academic journey and start your application to graduate studies at OISE.