Master of Arts in Curriculum & Pedagogy

Two individuals smiling at OISE Swag Day.
Master of Arts in Curriculum & Pedagogy

Master of Arts in Curriculum & Pedagogy Overview

The Curriculum & Pedagogy Program (C&P) is a forum for systematic reflection on curriculum, viewed in the broadest sense as educational experiences that occur in both formal and informal settings.  This includes a critical examination of the substance (subject matter, courses, programs of study), purposes, and practices used for bringing about learning in educational settings.

Students enrolled in the Master of Arts in the Curriculum & Pedagogy program are required to complete eight half-courses and a thesis. Additional coursework may be required depending on previous experience and academic qualifications. All requirements for the degree must be completed within three years of enrolment for full-time students, and within six years for part-time students.


Curriculum & Pedagogy Program Emphases

The Curriculum & Pedagogy program (C&P) offers the following six optional program Emphases to all students admitted to the program:

Students interested in completing a C&P Emphasis must take 3 courses from a list of courses affiliated with the Emphasis. Students who successfully complete Emphasis coursework as part of their C&P degree requirements may request a notation of the Emphasis on their transcript.

For detailed information about the program, please consult the School of Graduate Studies Calendar.

At a Glance

Study Options
Full-time (6 sessions)
Part-time (10 sessions)
Coursework (8 half courses) + thesis

Funding and Tuition
For current information about tuition fees, funding, and financial support, visit Tuition & Financial Support.  

Application status for the 2024-2025 admissions cycle:

  • Master of Arts (Part-Time) in Curriculum & Pedagogy Education - open
  • Master of Arts (Full-Time) in Curriculum & Pedagogy Education - closed

To view updated program deadlines, visit the OISE application deadlines and closing dates page.

Open House promotion image with the OISE logo and the title








Ready to join one of the world’s top universities? Take the next step in your academic journey and start your application to graduate studies at OISE.

Speak with our Team

Have questions about our program, admissions, financial support or career options after graduation? Our team has the answer you’re looking for. Contact us for one-on-one support.

Attend an Info Session

We host information sessions, open houses and tours throughout the year. Come discover what it's like to study at OISE. Explore campus and meet our community.

C&P Admissions Drop-In

Have a question about admissions requirements?  Drop-in (online) and speak to program staff. 

Every Wednesday from 12:00 p.m. to 1:00 p.m. (EST) 

Why I Chose Curriculum, Teaching & Learning

Themis Aravossitas
Themis Aravossitas (Master of Arts 2010, Doctor of Philosophy 2016)

Curriculum & Pedagogy

"I was admitted into the Master of Education program… an internationally educated teacher who needed to gain experience in the Canadian context. CTL's faculty, staff and fellow students gave me a sense of belonging within an inclusive and supportive academic community. I worked with and got inspired by world class scholars, and participated in the organization of conferences and symposia, book publications, grant submissions and educational collaboration involving new technologies. Through OISE and particularly CTL, I built a professional network and became confident about my studies and potential career."

Master of Arts in Curriculum & Pedagogy Admission Requirements

General Admission Requirements

Please visit the OISE Admissions website for detailed information about the application process, including general minimum admission requirements and supporting documents. 


Program-Specific Information (Minimum Admission Requirements)

Minimum admission requirements for this program are:

We encourage equity-seeking groups to identify themselves in their application.


Required Supporting Documents

All applicants must submit: 

  • Online Application
  • Transcript(s) from each post-secondary institution attended
  • Two letters of reference from two separate people (one academic and one professional)
  • A resumé that provides clear and complete information about the applicant's work or field experience related to their proposed studies
  • Completion of program application questions (ie. "Faculty Questions: CTL" below)
    1. In 1,000-1,500 words, describe why you wish to undertake a research-oriented program in Curriculum & Pedagogy. Discuss your academic interests, experience and professional concerns. 
    2. Please review the CTL faculty research information.  If you identify Curriculum & Pedagogy faculty members whose research interests align with yours, you will be asked to list only their first and last names.  
    3. Based on your described program of study, list 3-5 keywords to describe your research interests.
    4. If you are interested in a Program Emphasis, you will be asked to indicate it.
    5. If you will have funding from your home government, international organizations or funding agencies, please provide details (Name of funding agency, value and duration). If this does not apply, leave this section blank.
    6. Is there any additional information you would like to share with the Admissions Committee that will inform their review of your application?
  • View FAQ for other important application notes.

Additional Degree Information

We are looking for applicants who have a sound academic background and a deep interest in education. Our degree is designed to provide opportunities for study, research, and theoretical analysis. It attracts a wide range of educational professionals, including teachers, health workers, community-based educators, educational activists, school board administrators, post-secondary faculty, individuals in corporate and not-for-profit industries, and people in other education-related fields.

Applicants should have demonstrated commitment to education prior to applying. Please note, the Master of Arts program is not a teacher certification program. For more information on our teacher certification programs please visit: OISE Teacher Education Degrees.

The Curriculum & Pedagogy program is designed for flexibility. Choose courses that best meet your needs. The program details are as follows:

  • The C&P MA degree normally requires eight completed courses and a Masters thesis. Additional courses may be required of some candidates.
  • Students are required to successfully complete CTL1000H (Foundations of Curriculum) and a course in research methods from the Curriculum & Pedagogy Approved Research Methods course list. The remaining courses are electives.
  • At least four of the eight courses must be Curriculum & Pedagogy courses. C&P courses are identified with CTL1000-level course codes (i.e CTL1000H to CTL1999H) and Special Topics courses in C&P are identified as CTL5000H to CTL5299H (Masters Level) and CTL6000H to CTL6299H (Doctoral Level).
  • Non-C&P courses (if you choose to take them) can include Masters-level courses from the Languages and Literacies Education program or from any other OISE department: Social Justice EducationApplied Psychology and Human Development, and Leadership, Higher, and Adult Education.

Enjoy courses that explore different aspects of teaching and learning. We offer courses in educational technology, indigenous education and decolonization, curriculum, equity and diversity issues, arts in education, environmental education, well-being, and more. Think critically about both the possibilities and challenges surrounding issues that matter in education.

Given the diverse academic and research interests of our faculty, the program is organized into seven constituent but optional program Emphases.

The Curriculum & Pedagogy program offers the following six program Emphases:

C&P students interested in a program Emphasis are required to take 3 courses from a list of courses affiliated with the Emphasis. Students who successfully complete Emphasis coursework as part of their C&P degree requirements may, prior to graduation, contact a department administrator to request a notation of the Emphasis on their transcripts.

Interested in interdisciplinary study?

UofT offers collaborative specializations which involve the cooperation of two or more graduate units (i.e Departments, programs, or centres). Students admitted to C&P have the opportunity to discover the research possibilities available with the following collaborative programs: 

Regrettably, our Full-Time Funded Master of Arts program cannot accept International applicants at this time.  However, the Department may consider applications from international applicants where home governments, international organizations or funding agencies can provide them with funding. The funding must minimally have the value and duration of the graduate funding package that is offered and should be indicated on the application. Please review the Graduate Funding Package website

International students are invited to apply to the Part-Time Master of Arts program or the Master of Education (Full-Time or Part-Time) program. Any international applications for the Full-Time MA program will automatically be redirected to the Full-Time M.Ed. program for consideration.

For more on international student admissions, please review International Applicants on the OISE Registrar's office website.

The following is the result of a question and answer (Q&A) discussion which took place following a C&P MA Open House presentation.

Is there a part-time option for this program?
Yes, students can choose part-time or full-time registration status and choose maximum course load based on your registration status. See OISE Registrar's Office & Student Experience (ROSE) for maximum course load.

How do students find a thesis supervisor?
At the point of admission successful applicants to the C&P MA are assigned a Faculty Advisor whom you can speak with if you have questions regarding program requirements, course selection etc.  Your Faculty Advisor will often become your Thesis Supervisor, however if you find that your academic interests necessitate that you work with a different faculty member as thesis supervisor, your faculty advisor will help you to find an appropriate faculty member to take on that role.

What should I include in my resumé?
Your resumé should describe your education history (both academic and professional), research experience, employment history (including names of employers, job titles, position responsibilities, dates employed, whether full- or part-time), awards, business and professional achievements, community activities, as well as any special skills.

If unable to provide an academic reference, would two professional ones work instead? 
While a minimum of two letters of reference – one academic and one professional – should be included in your application, sometimes applicants experience difficulty obtaining a letter of reference. For example, if you graduated many years ago and have since not been active in an academic setting you may be unable to call upon a university instructor with whom you studied. You're strongly encouraged to obtain one academic and one professional letter of reference, but you may submit an alternative combination such as two reference letters from a professional source. Tip: for two professional letters direct the most suitable referee to include comments pertaining to your intellectual abilities and potential. 

Can you switch to Part-Time or Full-Time half way?
Yes, you can request to change your registration status from Part-Time to Full-Time or Full-Time to Part-Time. MA Part-Time students who wish to change to Full-Time may only request the change after completing the first year of study.  You must contact your Registration Specialist in the OISE Registrar's Office & Student Experience (ROSE) and make the request to change your registration status. Please keep in mind that changing your registration status will affect your registration fees; contact your Registration Specialist of details:

Can I complete the MA at a distance?
You can do that.  Although not guaranteed, there are normally enough courses available online to complete the degree.

What are collaborative specializations?
Collaborative Specialization programs are created by participating graduate units to explore a novel interdisciplinary area or special development that crosses a number of disciplines.  If you are admitted into a graduate program that participates in a collaborative specialization; many of which are actually University of Toronto wide specializations to which CTL is very closely connected; you can apply to a collaborative specialization, but you need to apply to them directly.  If you review our website, and websites of affiliated collaborative specializations, you’ll see C&P participates in a number of collaborative specializations. 

I have a question about language proficiency.  I’ve been working as an occasional teacher for four years here, but finished education outside of Canada.  Do I still need to prove language proficiency?
As English is the primary language of instruction and communication at the University of Toronto, applicants must demonstrate an adequate level of proficiency in English, regardless of their citizenship status or country of origin. It is important that these students follow School of Graduate Studies (SGS) policies on English Language Proficiency (ELP) testing requirements and take one of the required tests for admission to a graduate program.  Applicants from universities outside Canada where English is not the primary language of instruction must provide results of an English language proficiency examination as part of their application. Tests must have been taken within the last 24 months at the time of submission of their application.

The determination of whether an English language proficiency test is required is determined by the admissions division of the OISE Registrar's Office & Student Experience (ROSE), but only after the application has been submitted.  Visit the SGS webpage on English language proficiency for more information.

What is the difference between Masters of Teaching degree and the MA?
The Master of Teaching is a different CTL program that offers a master's degree and Ontario Teaching Certification for classroom teaching.  This is a program where if you wanted to go into teaching as a career you would pursue a master's degree there.  That is not an option in our Curriculum & Pedagogy program.  

Common career pathways for MA graduates?
Graduates of the C&P MA degree have pursued careers in the following areas and beyond: Advocacy, Community development, Curriculum analyst, Curriculum developer/instructional designer, Early childhood development, Education administration, Education NGOs, Education/learning consultant, Educational technology, Government positions (Ministry of Education, MP, MPP, etc…), Indigenous Education, International Comparative Education, Librarian (need additional qualifications: Library and Information Services degree), Museum educator, Program evaluation, Public outreach, Researcher, School boards (trustee), Study abroad programs, Teacher (need teaching certification; TEFL or for the province/state you want to teach in), Teacher training programs, Textbook writer/proofreader (e.g. Harper Collins), Urban education.

What happens after I submit my applications?
Once you've completed your application, understand what happens next by visiting After Submitting Your Application

I was offered admission, what are my next steps?
Applicants who receive an official "Offer of Admission" result letter can view the Newly Admitted Students webpage for information on next steps.

Ready to join one of the world’s top universities?

Take the next step in your academic journey and start your application to graduate studies at OISE.