Doctor of Education in Child Study & Education
Doctor of Education in Child Study & Education Overview
Become a leader in child study and empower change in education
The EdD in Child Study and Education is a cohort based program designed for professionals working in education or related fields looking to enrich their practice and advance their careers.
This program offers students the opportunity to extend and expand their knowledge and expertise in two major and interrelated domains: (1) Special Education (e.g., policy, perspectives, contexts and pedagogy); and (2) Security, Child and Youth Wellbeing (child and teacher mental health, resilience, learning environments, prevention and intervention and equity).
Through applying a child study lens to the study of these domains, students will be empowered to become change agents in education and bring about systematic change in organizations and communities.
The next intake for this program will be Fall 2024.
At a Glance
Full-time (4 years)
Funding and Tuition
For current information about tuition fees, funding, and financial support, visit Tuition and Financial Support.
The next intake for this program will be Fall 2024. Applications to the EdD CSE for the 2024-2025 admissions cycle are set to open early October 2023.
Ready to join one of the world’s top universities? Take the next step in your academic journey and start your application to graduate studies at OISE.
Have questions about our program, admissions, financial support or career options after graduation? Our team has the answer you’re looking for. Contact us for one-on-one support.
We host information sessions, open houses and tours throughout the year. Come discover what it's like to study at OISE. Explore campus and meet our community.
Why I Chose Applied Psychology & Human Development
Nivatha Moothathamby (Master of Arts 2021)
PhD student in Developmental Psychology and Education
"My journey at OISE has been filled with establishing positive and supportive relationships, learning the nuances of psychology and education, and understanding my role as a scholar and an activist. As a Tamil-Canadian, I come from a community that has faced racial injustices and intergenerational trauma. The Department of Applied Psychology and Human Development has provided me with academic resources and a community to explore and expand on these parts of my identity. Overall, OISE’s deep commitment to inclusion, diversity and equity is what drew me to apply. I found my place here."
Doctor of Education in Child Study & Education Admission Requirements
General Admission Requirements
Please visit the OISE Admissions website for detailed information about the application process, including general minimum admission requirements and supporting documents.
Program-Specific Information (Minimum Admission Requirements)
- Applicants are admitted under the General Regulations of the School of Graduate Studies. Please note that applicants will be accepted into this degree program every other year.
- A master’s degree: an MA or MEd degree in Education (for example, Master of Arts in Child Study and Education, Master of Education degree, Master of Teaching degree) with high academic standing (equivalent to a B+ or better) from a recognized university. Applicants with master’s degrees in other disciplines may be eligible to apply for admission, but may have to complete additional courses in developmental psychology and/or child study.
Work experience. Normally a minimum of 3 years of current or recent work experience in an education-related field within a school or community setting. They should be able to identify how their work environment would be able to support and facilitate their research related to their problem of practice, which is a major outcome of this degree.
Required Supporting Documents
All applicants must submit:
- Transcript(s) from each post-secondary institution attended
- Resume or Curriculum Vitae
- Letter of intent
- Two letters of reference (one academic and one professional) including contact emails.
- Applicants are asked to answer questions explaining their experiences and how they relate to the program during the application submission process.
Additional Program Information
Ready to join one of the world’s top universities?
Take the next step in your academic journey and start your application to graduate studies at OISE.