Master of Arts in Curriculum & Pedagogy
Master of Arts in Curriculum & Pedagogy Overview
The Curriculum & Pedagogy Program (C&P) is a forum for systematic reflection on curriculum, viewed in the broadest sense as educational experiences that occur in both formal and informal settings. This includes a critical examination of the substance (subject matter, courses, programs of study), purposes, and practices used for bringing about learning in educational settings.
Students enrolled in the Master of Arts in the Curriculum & Pedagogy program are required to complete eight half-courses and a thesis. Additional coursework may be required depending on previous experience and academic qualifications. All requirements for the degree must be completed within three years of enrolment for full-time students, and within six years for part-time students.
Curriculum & Pedagogy Program Emphases
The Curriculum & Pedagogy program (C&P) offers the following six optional program Emphases to all students admitted to the program:
- Arts in Education
- Critical Studies in Curriculum and Pedagogy
- Digital Technologies in Education
- Indigenous Education and Decolonization
- Science, Mathematics and Technology in Education
Students interested in completing a C&P Emphasis must take 3 courses from a list of courses affiliated with the Emphasis. Students who successfully complete Emphasis coursework as part of their C&P degree requirements may request a notation of the Emphasis on their transcript.
For detailed information about the program, please consult the School of Graduate Studies Calendar.
At a Glance
Full-time (4 sessions)
Part-time (10 sessions)
Coursework (10 half courses)
Funding and Tuition
For current information about tuition fees, funding, and financial support, visit Tuition and Financial Support.
Applications to the Master of Arts in Curriculum & Pedagogy for the 2023-2024 admissions cycle are open.
To view updated program deadlines, visit the OISE application deadlines and closing dates page.
Ready to join one of the world’s top universities? Take the next step in your academic journey and start your application to graduate studies at OISE.
Have questions about our program, admissions, financial support or career options after graduation? Our team has the answer you’re looking for. Contact us for one-on-one support.
We host information sessions, open houses and tours throughout the year. Come discover what it's like to study at OISE. Explore campus and meet our community.
Why I Chose Curriculum, Teaching & Learning
Themis Aravossitas (Master of Arts 2010, Doctor of Philosophy 2016)
Curriculum & Pedagogy
I was admitted into the Master of Education program… an internationally educated teacher who needed to gain experience in the Canadian context. CTL's faculty, staff and fellow students gave me a sense of belonging within an inclusive and supportive academic community. I worked with and got inspired by world class scholars, and participated in the organization of conferences and symposia, book publications, grant submissions and educational collaboration involving new technologies. Through OISE and particularly CTL, I built a professional network and became confident about my studies and potential career.
Master of Arts in Curriculum & Pedagogy Admission Requirements
General Admission Requirements
Please visit the OISE Admissions website for detailed information about the application process, including general minimum admission requirements and supporting documents.
Program-Specific Information (Minimum Admission Requirements)
Minimum admission requirements for this program are:
- An appropriate honours bachelor’s degree (4-year) or equivalent with standing equivalent to a University of Toronto mid-B or better in the final year or over senior courses.
- English Language Proficiency (if required)
- Please see the SGS calendar for more details.
We encourage equity-seeking groups to identify themselves in their application.
Required Supporting Documents
All applicants must submit:
- Online Application
- Transcript(s) from each post-secondary institution attended
- Two letters of reference (one academic and one professional)
- A resumé that provides clear and complete information about the applicant's work or field experience related to their proposed studies
- Completion of program application questions (ie. "Faculty Questions: CTL" below)
- In 1,000-1,500 words, describe why you wish to undertake a research-oriented program in Curriculum & Pedagogy. Discuss your academic interests, experience and professional concerns.
- Please review the CTL faculty research information. If you identify Curriculum & Pedagogy faculty members whose research interests align with yours, you will be asked to list only their first and last names.
- Based on your described program of study, list 3-5 keywords to describe your research interests.
- If you are interested in a Program Emphasis, you will be asked to indicate it.
- If you will have funding from your home government, international organizations or funding agencies, please provide details (Name of funding agency, value and duration). If this does not apply, leave this section blank.
- Is there any additional information you would like to share with the Admissions Committee that will inform their review of your application?
- View FAQ for other important application notes.
Additional Degree Information
We are looking for applicants who have a sound academic background and a deep interest in education. Our degree is designed to provide opportunities for study, research, and theoretical analysis. It attracts a wide range of educational professionals, including teachers, health workers, community-based educators, educational activists, school board administrators, post-secondary faculty, individuals in corporate and not-for-profit industries, and people in other education-related fields.
Applicants should have demonstrated commitment to education prior to applying. Please note, the Master of Arts program is not a teacher certification program. For more information on our teacher certification programs please visit: OISE Teacher Education Degrees.
Ready to join one of the world’s top universities?
Take the next step in your academic journey and start your application to graduate studies at OISE.