Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

Important Application Notes

  • Slate is used across SGS graduate units.
  • Please note, there is no Statement of Intent to upload. Instead, we now have “Faculty Questions” to be answered by the applicant for the online application. Please DO NOT upload a Statement of Intent as we will not see it.
  • Only 2 reference letters are required: Normally, 1 academic and 1 professional.  (The system will allow them to add up to 5 referee names, we only want 2).
  • Please visit our OISE recruitment websites AND the ORSS Admissions website for instructions, details and information on application. 
  • Applicants must pay the $235 application fee and submit their application in order for the application to be considered. We won’t see the application until you pay.
  • OISE Applicants can submit up to 3 separate applications with the one ($235) fee payment. This means separate faculty questions, separate transcript uploads, separate reference letters, etc. (main November 15, 2021 deadline).


According to the application requirements for the Master of Education in Counseling Psychology and Psychotherapy program, an academic reference is preferred, along with a professional reference, however, will two professional references be accepted instead of one academic and one professional reference?
Yes. For applicants several years from their undergraduate programs, a strong academic reference may be difficult to obtain.  The want is to have one of the practical referees speak to your scholarship too – perhaps critical thinking/writing, report writing, literature reviews, presentation skills, and all-around collegiality – in addition to what she/he can offer toward your practical skills.

Can you please confirm that this program does not have a research component?
The MEd degree programs do not have a research component.  Applicants do not need to identify professors of research interest, but can list courses of interest which they teach.

Does what programs we do for our undergraduate influence our chances of getting into the program?
The MEd Counselling and Psychotherapy program does not require a specific undergraduate major.  Any 4 year BA with a B+ or better in the last year is fitted.  Applicants will want to demonstrate their academic scholarship with their faculty questions and via their reference letters, such as critical thinking and writing.

Is a successful work experience not related to counselling field not recommended to apply?
Applicants are encouraged to elaborate only on  practical exposures relevant to mental health skills building and preparedness for a successful practicum placement.

Due to COVID, it has been difficult to find available volunteer opportunities as the training sessions have been backed up and delayed. Is it possible to be accepted into the program while still in the process of completing our 1 year of experience?
The admission requirements and practical exposure needed for an MEd application have not been relaxed or modified in light of covid. Our graduate course demands and need for the practicum sites to receive qualified students remain the same.

However, we invite applicants to elaborate on any complementary skills and exposures which may be helpful in predicting counselling success, though perhaps not specific to counselling, in their Faculty Questions, Resume, and via their reference letters.

For students who are in the process of completing their undergraduate degree, does the admissions committee look at just the 3rd year courses since the 4th year grades aren't released? Are there a certain number of courses they take to calculate an admissions average? 
For applicants applying during their final year of the undergraduate program, an application GPA is not calculated.   If an admissions offer is received in late March/early April, it will be conditional upon submitting proof of graduation and receiving a B+ or better GPA in the last 5 full-year equivalent degree course credits.

For the MEd in CP - Counselling and Psychotherapy what is the minimum numbers of courses you can take as full time student. Are courses offered over the spring and summer months? 
Full-time registration in the MEd program is typically 3 courses per semester. This is 6 in the first year, and the remaining 4 in the 2nd year, including the practicum placement. Summer courses are available. These are electives and are optional.

Would it be possible to apply as international student and change the status afterwards if permanent residency is granted after been accepted by the university? 
An applicant’s residency status would not affect the review of their application. When an offer of admission is received, in late March or early April, the applicant may update our OISE registrars’ office with their residency status at that time.

If we have just begun a volunteer position with a crisis line that we are committed to for one year, (meaning at the time of the application we will only have been in the position for a month), will this still be considered for relevant experience since we will by 2021 have been volunteering for a year?
Yes, the one year practical experience requirement is counted back from when an applicant would begin the program next September.  We encourage applicants to consider when is the best year to apply, when familiar and glowing letters of reference can be secured.

Experiences beginning at the time of application will often not have substantial relationship-building for the referee to elaborate upon.

I am trying to get an idea of what the program looks like and I’m not having a lot of luck online. Do you happen to have an example schedule of what courses are offered and what your week would look like ? Also, does the program help to find you a placement and is the 250 hours direct or does that include all direct and indirect hours at placement? 
A representative course schedule is not available, but full-time registration is typically 3 courses per semester, which can be scheduled in 2 or 3 days - 9 hours of in-class time per week.   The 2nd year includes 4 more courses plus a two day a week practicum placement.   The minimum 250 hours is inclusive of indirect and direct client hours - the latter being a minimum of 25%.



What does EdD bring in terms of career prospects compared to MEd in counselling?
Our EdD program in Counselling and Psycotherapy provides for advanced training in counselling techniques and is attractive to those pursuing leadership positions in their place of practice.  It does not provide for further professional registration than does our MEd degree program - each with the CRPO.


CCP (Counselling and Clinical Psy


If I have multiple volunteer experiences from various institutions but for one semester each, collectively adding up to a little over a year, would that be alright?
Yes.  Applicants are encouraged to select from a variety of experiences those skills which are relevant and predictive of a successful practicum placement.

I am interested in both the MA and MEd. Has the GRE been waived for the MA this year? 
The GRE General and Subject-Psychology test scores are not required for an application this year.   This was earlier a requirement only for the MA CCP program.  A decision about its requirement for next year’s application cycle will be available early Summer 2021.

Are any of the courses commencing 2021 going to be online? Are practicum placements limited to the Toronto area or would it be possible to arrange something in London?   
During the covid restrictions, all our course offerings are online and practicum placements are also online, as the hosting sites elect to operate.  Students can arrange for a qualifying site outside of the GTA, but should be mindful of the commute to OISE for remaining coursework if and when the covid restrictions are eased. 

When looking at core faculty, are the professors that accepting students in 2020-2021 the only ones we can apply to work with, or can we try and contact the other professors?
Applicants are encouraged to consider only those faculty who are listed as accepting students.

If I have not completed one of the courses suggested for admission but am currently enrolled in the course, will I still be considered for admission?
Applicants to the MA CCP program will need to demonstrate that their academic background is equivalent to a psychology undergraduate program major at the U of T.   Applicants may peruse the U of T undergraduate program web page for course breadth requirements and use their Faculty Questions to elaborate upon alternative courses and equivalencies in their academic coursework.

Would you recommend getting in contact with potential supervisors prior to submitting our respective application(s)? 
With the volume of applicant interest, faculty do not typically have the resources to respond to each request, nor is there an expectation that applicants should confirm research fit prior.   We recommend applicants to review the faculty bio pages and online publications to make best judgements of complementary interests, and to list a name or two within their faculty questions.

What are the differences between the counselling and clinical psychology program at OISE and the clinical psychology program at UTSC? Do they lead to same or different careers?
The OISE and UTSC program fields fall under the same graduate program umbrella and each will lead to the same end – registration with the CPO.

The faculty at OISE have an interest area in humanistic and social modalities – diversity, LGBTQ, careers, etc, - along with the typical clinical focus on assessments, diagnostic, etc.    The UTSC faculty may have other interests, such as neuroscience and biological bases as  well, for example.  

Do peruse the faculty research areas and select the program where your thesis supervisor of interest is affiliated. You may choose to apply to both programs, but this would be two separate applications and fees.

My research interest match research area of the core faculty who is unfortunately not listed on the ""Who's Accepting?"" list for this year. What should I do in that case? Would they potentially be open to co-supervise the MA thesis?
Yes.  We ask that you direct your research interests to a faculty member who is listed as accepting students this year.   An MA thesis will have a 2nd committee member (and a PhD will have 3 additional members) and faculty not accepting students this year may serve as the additional member.



I have a Masters in Clinical Mental Health Counseling, and licensed to practice psychotherapy in New York with 7 years of experience. I do not have a Bachelors in psychology though. Would you still consider accepting my application?
An application to the PhD program requires an undergraduate degree in psychology and a master’s degree in clinical/counselling psyhology. If an applicant’s master’s program was psychotherapy, and application to our PhD would be inadmissable, but we would suggest to consider our Doctor of Education, Counselling and Psychotherapy.  It does not lead to registration with the CPO, however.


Do I need to complete the GRE when I apply to the SCCP program?
No, you are not required to submit the GRE for admission to the SCCP program. 

I understand that I need to include one professional reference letter. Who is eligible to write this?
Your professional reference letter can come from anyone who has knowledge of your ability to work with children and families. Examples may include a supervisor at a volunteer setting or summer camp or an employer at a setting where you worked with children or families as part of your job (e.g., daycare centre, community recreation program).

Should I contact the professor with whom I would like to do research with? 
If you are applying to the MA or PhD program, it is important to identify the professor or professor(s) whose research interests you share and refer to these professors within your faculty questions in your application. You can find a list of the faculty and their research interests on the department website.

Would you be able to clarify how many reference letters are needed? 
3 (2 academic, 1 professional)

Does registration with the College of Psychologists of Ontario mean that we can only practice in Ontario? Or all over Canada?
The SCCP PhD  program meets the requirements to  practice in Ontario and in Canada upon successful registration at the College of Psychologists.

As a follow-up to the work-life balance question asked on zoom, do students have breaks during the program, such as winter, spring, or summer breaks?
There is a mid-winter break in March.  Some of our students take extra classes that are offered in the spring and summer session.

If our gpa scale from undergrad is different than u of t do we need to submit our gpa scale or will you admissions look into it to adjust our undergrad grades to the UofT scale?  
Yes our staff in the Registrar’s Office will convert your GPA

How important is it to apply for graduate external awards on your initial application?
The Admissions committee will be looking at the answers of your faculty questions; letters of reference; and previous grades (GPA).


What is the difference between the MA nd MEd degree in Developmental Psychology & Education? I am currently a 4th year at UofT majoring in Psychology. My goal is to work with children, I initially thought that Masters in DPE would result in a Counselling degree. Could you explain the main differences between the MA and Med?  
The DPE MA program is a 1- year program and is for those who wish  primarily to pursue a career in research, university or community college teaching, and related activities.  

The DPE MEd program 1.5 years and is for those who wish to construct an overall perspective of developmental psychology, human development and mental health by integrating theory and practice. Students will understand the implications of these areas for practice with children in educational and other applied settings. 

I have a degree in Honors Child Development is this an equivalent to psychology? Or do I need a psychology degree? 
The minimum admission requirements for the DPE MA program Applicants must have an appropriate bachelor's degree with the equivalent of a University of Toronto A– or better. Although most applicants will have a degree in psychology, applicants with an appropriate bachelor's degree in cognitive science, computer science, linguistics, or a helping profession such as occupational therapy, speech-language pathology, physiotherapy, nursing, social work, or another discipline relevant to their specific program of study are also eligible to apply for admission.



Is there a date to start this program for the winter term? 
No, the DPE MEd program only starts in the Fall term, there’s no winter start date. 

Is there a part-time option for this program?
Yes, students can choose part-time or full-time registration status and choose maximum course load based on your registration status. See OISE Office of the Registrar and Student Services for maximum course load:

How do students gain supervisors?
The DPE MEd program is a non-thesis degree so you do not have a supervisor that you work one on one with. Instead you have a Faculty Advisor that you can speak with if you have questions regarding program requirements, course selection etc.

Do you need to have a degree in Psychology?
No, the minimum admission requirements for this program is an appropriate honours bachelor’s degree (4-year) in psychology or equivalent with standing equivalent to a University of Toronto mid-B or better in the final year or over senior courses.

If unable to provide an academic reference, would two professional ones work instead? 
While a minimum of two letters of reference – one academic and one professional – should be included in your application, sometimes applicants experience difficulty obtaining a letter of reference. For example, if you graduated many years ago and have since not been active in an academic setting you may be unable to call upon a university instructor with whom you studied. You're strongly encouraged to obtain one academic and one professional letter of reference, but you may submit an alternative combination such as two reference letters from a professional source. Tip: for two professional letters direct the most suitable referee to include comments pertaining to your intellectual abilities and potential. 

Is the MEd for teachers only?
No, you do not need be a certified teacher to apply. We have many of our students who do not have a teaching degree applying to the DPE MEd program.

How does the funding work for the MEd program?
The DPE MEd program is a non-funded degree. You pay your registration based on the registration status you choose; either full-time or part-time registration. Please see link from OISE Office of the Registrar and Student Services:

Can you switch to PT or FT half way?
Yes, you can request to change your registration status from PT to FT or FT to PT. You must contact your Registration Specialist in the OISE Office of the Registrar and Student Services and make the request to change your registration status. Please keep in mind that changing your registration status will affect your registration fees; contact your Registration Specialist of details:

What is considered PT course load and what is the approximate length of time it would take to take this program part-time, if full-time is 1.5 years. DPE MEd Program Length 4 sessions full-time (typical registration sequence: F/W/S/F); 10 sessions part-time…

How does the collaborative specialization work? 
The Collaborative Specialization in Educational Policy serves students interested in developing an understanding of the factors associated with educational policy development and implementation, with particular emphasis on developing theoretical and practical strategies for improving educational processes. The collaborative specialization's intellectual objectives include providing students with exposure to cross-field and crossdisciplinary approaches to educational problem framing and problem solving in order to broaden the possibilities for innovative and effective policy analysis; helping students understand how to apply theoretical concepts to particular social and educational problems in particular settings; and understanding the broader social, institutional, and policy contexts within which educational policy processes occur. There are two required courses and an annual lecture series. Upon successful completion of the degree requirements of the participating home graduate unit and the collaborative specialization, students will receive the notation "Completed Collaborative Specialization in Educational Policy" on their transcript.