Post-Secondary Certificate in Leadership in Higher Education Overview
The Certificate in Leadership in Higher Education is a part-time program designed to for those who aspire to or currently work in higher education leadership roles. Students receive a certificate from the University of Toronto upon program completion.
Students are required to complete the following four courses with a grade of B or higher.
- Recurring Issues in Post Secondary Education (HEC803H)
- Economics and Finance in Higher Education (HEC815H)*
- Introduction to Student Development Theory (HEC854H)
- HR & Diversity Issues in Higher Education (HEC847H)
*Certificate students in Leadership Cohort 10 will take HEC811H Organizational Change in Higher Education instead of HEC815H.
Each course can be taken over the course of four weekends per semester, or through a week-long summer institute.
Application to the Certificate Program requires:
- Completion of secondary school as a minimum basis of admission. Applicants are expected to have taken university-level courses or equivalent, and relevant professional experience. Special consideration will be given to those lacking formal academic credentials but who hold significant relevant professional experience.
- Significant relevant professional experience in the post-secondary sector.
- Two letters of recommendation:
- One from an educational administrator for whom the applicant has worked for directly.
- One from a professional colleague or university professor who can speak to the applicant's academic ability.