Resources for International Students

Pre-Arrival Resources

International students require a study permit to attend post-secondary education in Canada. Details on obtaining a study permit can be found on the Government of Canada website, and information specific to the University of Toronto can be found on the Centre for International Experience: Immigration webpage. This site also contains valuable information on work permits, entry visas, inviting family members and permanent residency.

There are several guides U of T has created to help prepare and orient international students. First, check out the Centre for International Experience: Preparing for Arrival guide. This resource contains information on pre-arrival tasks, arriving in Canada, and orienting yourself once here.

Next, the School of Graduate Studies website, Arrival and Getting Oriented, shares information on navigating the airport and public transit, transition advising, and getting started as an incoming graduate student.

Lastly, be sure to review the Registrar’s Office & Student Experience (ROSE), Newly Admitted Students: International Student Information webpage for OISE specific information on visas and study permits, health and medical insurance, and international students with families.

Money Matters

Incoming international students are able to open a bank account from abroad through the following banks:

If you are planning on working during your degree, you must hold a Social Insurance Number. Once arriving in Canada, visit Service Canada to obtain one. You should bring your employment letter and/or funding package letter with you.

University of Toronto Services

Centre for International Experience

The Centre for International Experience (CIE) assists both international students who are new to Canada as well as domestic students would are interested in studying abroad. Services for international students include: transitioning to U of T, counselling/advising, and English communication programs.

Grad Step Up

Grad Step Up is an extended orientation program designed to support international students transition to U of T by connecting you to key information, resources and communities on campus.

International Student Advising

Run by the Centre for International Experience, the International Student Experience team provides events, resources and information to adjust to Canada, build your new community, and help you find what you need: navigate useful resources, information and services across and outside U of T.

As an OISE student, you also have access to your own International Student Success Coordinator, Andy Xia. Andy can be reached at Our Student Success Coordinator is a great resource for helping you prepare for your arrival and succeeding during your degree. Andy and his team also offers an orientation for incoming international student each Fall.

OISE’s International Student Association

The International Student Association represents international students at OISE. This association holds monthly meetings for academic and cultural exchange, holds social and cultural events and activities, and serves international students' needs and interests. The office is located in Room 8-107.

Contact Information:

My Student Support Program (SSP)

My Student Support Program (SSP) is a confidential helpline providing professional counselling and information to international students. SSP is available in multiple language formats for students in personal difficulty who need someone to speak to. Students can phone 1-844-451-9700 or 416-380-6578 to talk, and languages include English, French, Korean, Arabic, Spanish, Mandarin, and Cantonese.

You can also download an app to access this service. The app accommodates 60+ languages/cultures.