Master of Education in Educational Leadership & Policy
Master of Education in Educational Leadership & Policy Overview
Are you an aspiring or current educational leader looking to further develop your knowledge of policy, leadership, change and social diversity in and for the PK-12 education system? This may be the place for you.
This professional program is designed primarily for those interested in learning the nature and practice of leadership and policy, especially with respect to social diversity and change in elementary and secondary schools.
It equips practitioners with the knowledge and skills to engage in – and critique – approaches to leadership and policy in the elementary and secondary school system.
While a minimum of one year of professional experience (particularly in teaching and administration) is not an essential prerequisite for admission, such experience is desirable.The department welcomes applicants with diverse but relevant backgrounds.
Students initially apply to and register in the Coursework Only option. For registration in the Coursework Plus Major Research Paper option, department permission is required.
Coursework Only option is available in two delivery models:
- Regular Master of Education Stream
- Students are accepted every year and can register on a full-time or part-time basis.
- Online/Hybrid (Part-time) Cohort-Based Stream
- Available in select years, this option is ideal for students who cannot travel to OISE regularly. Students move through the program as a cohort and register part-time.
For detailed information about the program, please consult the School of Graduate Studies Calendar.
At a Glance
Full-time (4 sessions)
Part-time (10 sessions)
Coursework Plus Major Research Paper
Funding and Tuition
For current information about tuition fees, funding, and financial support, visit Tuition & Financial Support.
Applications for the 2023-2024 admissions cycle are set to open early October 2022.
Ready to join one of the world’s top universities? Take the next step in your academic journey and start your application to graduate studies at OISE.
Have questions about our program, admissions, financial support or career options after graduation? Our team has the answer you’re looking for. Contact us for one-on-one support.
We host information sessions, open houses and tours throughout the year. Come discover what it's like to study at OISE. Explore campus and meet our community.
Why I Chose Leadership, Adult & Higher Education
Shahidul Islam (Master of Education 2020)
"If you are looking to analyze and address real-world problems in education, OISE is the place. At Leadership, Adult & Higher Education I developed my research skills and contributed to literature and policy that benefits schools and communities across the globe."
Master of Education in Educational Leadership & Policy Admission Requirements
General Admission Requirements
Please visit the OISE Admissions website for detailed information about the application process, including general minimum admission requirements and supporting documents.
Program-Specific Information (Minimum Admission Requirements)
- Applicants are admitted under the General Regulations of the School of Graduate Studies.
- An appropriate bachelor’s degree from a recognized university in a relevant discipline with a grade equivalent to a University of Toronto mid-B or better in the final year.
Required Supporting Documents
All applicants must submit:
- Transcript(s) from each post-secondary institution attended.
- Resumé that provides clear and complete information about the applicant's work or field experience related to their proposed studies.
- Answers to faculty admissions questions (applicants are to answer each question in an essay format).
- Two letters of reference. Whenever possible, one should be written by an educational professional for whom the applicant has worked. The second should be by a referee who can attest to the applicant's academic ability.
Additional Program Information
Ready to join one of the world’s top universities?
Take the next step in your academic journey and start your application to graduate studies at OISE.