Master of Arts in Educational Leadership & Policy
Master of Arts in Educational Leadership & Policy Overview
Are you curious and passionate about researching, critiquing and advancing issues of educational leadership, policy, social diversity and change — particularly in relation to PK-12 education systems? This may be the place for you.
The MA in Educational Leadership and Policy (ELP) program fosters the study of problems in the administration and leadership of educational programs. It best serves students who have a commitment to scholarship and research as a means of deepening their understanding of administrative action in schools or in other educational and service institutions.
While experience in teaching and administration is not an essential prerequisite for admission, such experience is desirable. The department welcomes applicants with diverse but relevant backgrounds.
For detailed information about the program, please consult the School of Graduate Studies Calendar.
At a Glance
Full-time (6 sessions)
Part-time (10 sessions)
Funding and Tuition
For current information about tuition fees, funding, and financial support, visit Tuition & Financial Support.
Applications for the 2023-2024 admissions cycle are set to open early October 2022.
Ready to join one of the world’s top universities? Take the next step in your academic journey and start your application to graduate studies at OISE.
Speak with our Team
Have questions about our program, admissions, financial support or career options after graduation? Our team has the answer you’re looking for. Contact us for one-on-one support.
Attend an Info Session
We host information sessions, open houses and tours throughout the year. Come discover what it's like to study at OISE. Explore campus and meet our community.
Why I Chose Leadership, Adult & Higher Education
Shahidul Islam (Master of Education 2020)
"If you are looking to analyze and address real-world problems in education, OISE is the place. At Leadership, Adult & Higher Education I developed my research skills and contributed to literature and policy that benefits schools and communities across the globe."
Master of Arts in Educational Leadership & Policy Admission Requirements
General Admission Requirements
Please visit the OISE Admissions website for detailed information about the application process, including general minimum admission requirements and supporting documents.
Program-Specific Information (Minimum Admission Requirements)
- Applicants are admitted under the General Regulations of the School of Graduate Studies.
An appropriate bachelor’s degree from a recognized university in a relevant discipline or professional program, with a grade equivalent to a University of Toronto B+ or better in the final year.
Required Supporting Documents
All applicants must submit:
- Transcript(s) from each post-secondary institution attended.
- Two letters of reference (one academic and one professional).
- Resumé that provides clear and complete information about the applicant's work or field experience related to their proposed studies.
- Answers to faculty admissions questions (applicants are to answer each question in an essay format).
Additional Program Information
Students complete 4.0 full-course equivalents (FCEs) as follows:
- Designing Masters Research Proposals (LHA1003H, 0.5 FCE)
- This seminar examines the strategies, techniques, and problems involved in conducting research on educational administration. It prepares students to define research problems, review relevant literature, develop research proposals, conduct research and write reports.
- Research Literacy in Educational Leadership and Policy (LHA1004H, 0.5 FCE)
- This course provides students with an introduction to the purposes of research in educational leadership and policy. Students will learn how to obtain, evaluate, interpret and use research in their work as educators and in their graduate studies.
- Introduction to Educational Leadership and Policy: Policy, Leadership, Change, and Diversity (LHA1040H, 0.5 FCE)
- This course provides an introduction to educational policy, leadership and change by focusing on foundational concepts and theories.
- 0.5 FCE in research methods, to be selected in consultation with the thesis supervisor.
- An additional 2.0 FCEs must be in Educational Leadership and Policy, normally at the 1000 level or 5000 Special Topics level. Additional courses may be required of some students.
To be developed under the guidance of a faculty member.
Collaborative specializations provide graduate students enrolled in participating degree programs with an additional multidisciplinary experience as they complete their home degree program.
Learn more about the collaborative specializations offered to students in this program:
Faculty in the Educational Leadership & Policy program have multi-disciplinary teaching and research expertise in a wide range of fields.
Our faculty's expertise includes, but is not limited to:
- Educational policy analysis and program evaluation
- Whole system reforms
- International comparisons of educational equity
- Socio-economic disparities in academic achievement
- Large-scale data analysis
- intersections of law and education
- School administration, philosophy and theory
- Critical democracy and educational leadership issues
Regrettably, our Full-Time Funded Master of Arts program cannot accept International applicants at this time. However, the Department may consider applications from international applicants where home governments, international organizations or funding agencies can provide them with funding. The funding must minimally have the value and duration of the graduate funding package that is offered and should be indicated on the application. Please review the Graduate Funding Package website.
International students are invited to apply to the Part-Time Master of Arts program or the Master of Education (Full-Time or Part-Time) program. Any international applications for the Full-Time MA program will automatically be redirected to the Full-Time M.Ed. program for consideration.
Ready to join one of the world’s top universities?
Take the next step in your academic journey and start your application to graduate studies at OISE.